CBS Apologises For "Racist" Grammy Performance

method77

The hip-hop group OutKast performed at the Grammy awards show with an American Indian-motif. Some native American groups called the performance racist. CBS have now apologised.

The Native American Cultural Center (NACC) called for people to boycott CBS on their web site, along with OutKast's label Arista Records, and the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, who sponsor the Grammys.

NACC board member Sean Freitas said: "It was the most disgusting set of racial stereotypes aimed at American Indians that I have ever seen on TV." CBS stated: "We are very sorry if anyone was offended."

reuters.com

"It was the most disgusting set of racial stereotypes aimed at American Indians that I have ever seen on TV."

...no offence but..shut the fuck up

Why?

I don’t give a shit about who wins what awards, and I watched the Grammys cause Outkast was one of the few acts out there that I can tolerate, so I waited for them to come on and I saw that performance. And I think that people have every right to be offended by that, although I think that there has been worse on TV it still was horrible. I’m surprised that they even allowed it, actually wait, I’m not surprised. This happens all the time and when someone attemps to protest the reply they get is “shut the fuck up”

"And I think that people have every right to be offended by that"

offended, by a custome that had no racial intent behind it, Its very easy to pick out everything and put a "racist spin" on it..

What the hell are you talking about? A costume with no racial inent? It may not have been intended to be offensive but they had to know what kind of reaction they were going to get because of the stereotypes. What about the head dress the DJ was wearing? Or the giant tipi used as a prop? How about the costumes that were suppose to represent traditional outfits but were instead altered enough to show off the dancers? Or the choreographed dances?

This may not be important to you, but before you tell someone else thats trying to defend their culture to shut the fuck up, take your own advice.

"And I think that people have every right to be offended by that"

offended, by a custome that had no racial intent behind it, Its very easy to pick out everything and put a "racist spin" on it..

What the hell are you talking about? A costume with no racial inent? It may not have been intended to be offensive but they had to know what kind of reaction they were going to get because of the stereotypes. What about the head dress the DJ was wearing? Or the giant tipi used as a prop? How about the costumes that were suppose to represent traditional outfits but were instead altered enough to show off the dancers? Or the choreographed dances?

This may not be important to you, but before you tell someone else thats trying to defend their culture to shut the fuck up, take your own advice.

Strongly agreed

Ah..our first political/cultural debate at BK. :duck hunt: shootin' lol.

What I think Mr. Jip objected to was the PC label that seems to be pervasive in the media today?! Didnt see the performance in question--but my family says that we have some Indian blood. The question really should be, did Outkast set out to offend anybody...or were they simply oblivious...??

As I write this, I looked up at the top of the screen and see that our advertisers include Indian and Pueblo Arts. How's that for syncronicity! :)

Ah..our first political/cultural debate at BK. :duck hunt: shootin' lol.

What I think Mr. Jip objected to was the PC label that seems to be pervasive in the media today?! Didnt see the performance in question--but my family says that we have some Indian blood. The question really should be, did Outkast set out to offend anybody...or were they simply oblivious...??

Like I said, I don’t think it was intentional, but they must have known how people would react. Its just too obvious. I realize that it seems that some people will try to attack any big name for the sake of advertising their own cause, I just happen to think that Outkasts performance pushed the limits.