Do Violent Video Games Make Youngsters Aggressive?

DudeAsInCool

Perhaps in some individuals, it may amplify already existing emotions.

I'm not as naive to believe that video games have no effect on the human brain.

The only people who believe that, and the only people who believe video games are the cause of every behavioral problem are people with agendas..........political or social agendas not based on truth, but on advancement of their shallow cause of "saving the world" from something.

The truth is it depends on the person and the situation, as well as the game in question. I would believe that the better a video game mimics real world scenery and graphics (such as the newer games) the more the content contained in them becomes ingrained in the minds of some, with various effects.

For instance; I was recently with my cousin for a short time. He’s 12.

We were by a large river with boats out on the water. He plays a lot of GTA and Halo. Upon seeing the boats on the water, the first thing he commented on was something to the effect of “if you had a rocket launcher you could blow the boats up from here” (also with a comment about GTA itself).

Now I know he doesn’t have a rocket launcher (and could never even get remotely close to having one), and that he’ll never try to destroy someone or something for real; the bigger point is that he’s not “seeing the forest for the trees” so to speak. He’s looking out on the water and zoning to a time and place in a video game and not joining us here in the present.

He plays too many video games; specifically video games that relate somewhat to reality (with things like life-like boats, water, and rocket launchers).

Older games didn’t have this problem because let’s face it, when is the last time you seen a gumba? Or kicked a giant turtle shell? Or seen an Italian plumber whose arch enemy is a fire breathing dragon? Not to mention the game is in 2D and the graphics only very vaguely resemble anything real. Even games like Contra were not good at connecting with real world textures and environment.

I think the “real” bad effects that can take place are a lack of attention to real surroundings and becoming obsessed with fantasy elements in a game; so much so that your time is wasted in the real world too. You may not be a serial killer, but you might become a zombie.

I think the “real” bad effects that can take place are lack of attention to real surroundings and becoming obsessed with fantasy elements in a game; so much so that your time is wasted in the real world too. You may not be a serial killer, but you might become a zombie.

Particularly on Tuesdays? :lol:

Anyway Dude.

Any thoughts on my response or the NYT's article?

I think most people can separate themselves and reality from video games, movies and television programs - but not everybody (which is probably a small percentage). That said, I'm not ready to censor anything either.

I'm not sure what the solution is for the lost souls... Ratings, parental supervision, education...arent gonna stop people from watching stuff or playing games. One would hope that the creators respect their audience and not push the envelope beyond reason, but Im afraid economics and popularity are the fuel that rules things today...

I think most people can separate themselves and reality from video games, movies and television programs - but not everybody (which is probably a small percentage).

That's an assumption really.

You don't know if it's a "small" percentage or even what "small" would mean.

Small as opposed to what? World population? U.S. population?

I don’t play the number game because I don’t have any reliable statistical data in front of me.

I think we should steer clear of skew.

and not push the envelope beyond reason

What is "reason"? Wouldn't that be imposing "morality" (as you put it in another thread about prostitution)?

I only make the connection because of the apparent contradiction in logic.

It seems sometimes I see people adopt a completely subjective stance or persona on an issue, and then at other times that all comes crashing down when they feel the need for setting a boundary.

It's almost selective subjectivity, which is a contradiction of definitions.

What is "reason"? Wouldn't that be imposing "morality" (as you put it in another thread about prostitution)?

Well, I'm not sure it exists in this day and age :lol:

I don't believe in censorship. And I dont think I should decide what

other people should see or play.

But the questions you ask are loaded. Let's take Rap for instance -

you don't like it, perhaps because it tends to celebrate or mythologize

violence, crassness, or general bad taste in terms of music??? Should it

be censored - no - but then I dont have to listen to it if I dont want.

So perhaps I should define 'reason' - but what I might find offensive

may be tame compared to someone else, or too liberal (probably).

I'm not a prude, but for example, do I want to see animals (or people

in snuff films) killed on screen. No. That in my opinion, would be beyond

reason... So, I think there are certain boundaries and moral standards that are

reasonable that probably should be applied, that might be construed as censorship

I don't believe in censorship. And I dont think I should decide what

my vote's for you, Dude, for KING OF THE FCC! :lol: (if only!)

I don't believe in censorship.  And I dont think I should decide what

my vote's for you, Dude, for KING OF THE FCC! :lol: (if only!)

I'm game - and now that I have the power, i hereby shitcan Pat Robertson - Club 700 is off the air. If you dont like it folks, rent the stupid videos at Walmart :)