Google Takes On the World

With all this google in the news, I was going to suggest that as a group Beatking should try and go two weeks without using google anything - not even accidentally.

Then I realised thanks to gmail i would be out of the game within minutes!

I've lost my trust with them - they are too powerful - but I also cant live without google now.

While I can forsee the dangers, Google continues to do amazing things, well outpacing any other technology company in terms of usefulness

This is only natural.

What's wrong with using Google as a search engine/translator/news source (given its diverse options)?

I don't understand everyone's fear. Fear of what?

I've lost my trust with them - they are too powerful

While power and corruption are commonly intertwined, it doesn't really mean that Google is an "evil entity".

What do you think Google is going to do to you that is so horrible that you want to try to avoid it altogether?

I think you're being a little paranoid with really no specific reason except that they are too "big".

I think the opposite. I think that Google is so big and has an image of being so powerful and user-friendly, yet simplistic, that it wouldn't want to jeopardize its well being as a company by doing something even remotely "bad" to its users and having it discovered and exposed.

There's too much risk with very little to gain.