Hunter Thompson Ashes Blasted Into Space

huntersthompson.jpgHunter Thompson Ashes Set to Blast Off

August 20,2005 | WOODY CREEK, Colo. -- Iconoclastic journalist Hunter S. Thompson would have loved the 153-foot tower built to blast his ashes into the sky, said one of his many friends and admirers gathered for an unsolemn farewell.

http://www.salon.com/wire/ap/archive.html?...=D8C3QDN00.html

Being shot out of a cannon is a hero's funeral? :lol: Remind me not to become a hero.

I think his life still deserves to be celebrated.

*sigh* he had the details in place before he died. to me, he's a hero--his friends and wife are just carrying out his last wishes.

Maybe Hunter was thinking of Tony Richardson's movie:

The satire in Evelyn Waugh's darkly comic novel The Loved One was originally double-edged. The book was not only an attack on the Southern California funeral industry but also a lampoon of Hollywood's "British colony," those clannish, cricket-playing English actors of years gone by who bemoaned the artificiality of Tinseltown while eagerly accepting the demeaning and insignificant movie roles they were offered.

A huge guest-star cast is headed by Jonathan Winters in a dual role as a funeral home manager and his covetous twin brother, who operates an elaborate pet cemetery. Musician Paul Williams is also on hand as a 13-year-old aeronautics genius who develops a method of sending corpses into "eternal orbit" (a plot device that Waugh neglected to include in his novel).

Something about a hero's funeral for a suicide just rubs me the wrong way.

Hero or not, suicide is rather dumb. Nothing honorable about.

I guess Mr. "Hero" was afraid of old age..........that or he was murdered by the U.S. government (as the conspiracy goes).

All and all I can't say I give a shit.

:lol:

Hero or not, suicide is rather dumb. Nothing honorable about.

I guess Mr. "Hero" was afraid of old age..........that or he was murdered by the U.S. government (as the conspiracy goes).

All and all I can't say I give a shit.

I havent heard anyone suggest conspiracy regarding HT's death. In his prime, when he wrote On The Campaign Trail in 1972, and Fear In Las Vegas, he was not only at the top of his game, he had no equals.

His suicide was sad--but that doesnt mean he wasnt a great writer in his day--too bad you missed out on that

I havent heard anyone suggest conspiracy regarding HT's death.

here and many, many, many other places (and i hope it's not true--i'm up to here w/conspiracies and such)