dvd burner

rainbowdemon

I finally got a dvd burner. And started right away burning movies. Got two of them done. They play just fine on my comp. Using Power DVD. But on my dvd player, the picture just rolls. And is black and white. The sound is fine. What am I doing wrong? The movies were burned using Nero. It came with the burner.

I can't identify the problem yet.

For now, I need some information if you can give it.

What is the source of the DVDs you burned? What data were you burning? Did you copy a DVD (like DVD in ROM drive and Blank media in write drive)? VIDEO_TS folder either downloaded or from a DVD source you have? Image File (downloaded or from your own DVD)?

Also, are you sure you burned a "DVD" and not a VCD or SVCD? If it's a DVD, is it PAL or NTSC?

the picture just rolls.

Can you describe this in another way? I don't follow.

Also, what is the make/model of your DVD player?

One more thing, for lots of information, go to

http://www.doom9.org

I can't identify the problem yet.

For now, I need some information if you can give it.

What is the source of the DVDs you burned? What data were you burning? Did you copy a DVD (like DVD in ROM drive and Blank media in write drive)? VIDEO_TS folder either downloaded or from a DVD source you have? Image File (downloaded or from  your own DVD)?

Also, are you sure you burned a "DVD" and not a VCD or SVCD? If it's a DVD, is it PAL or NTSC?

Can you describe this in another way? I don't follow.

Also, what is the make/model of your DVD player?

One more thing, for lots of information, go to

http://www.doom9.org

They were downloaded movies. The files just say "winamp media file". Tried burning them in both pal and ntsc. Nero gave me the option to choose. The media was dvd-r.

The dvd player is Sylvania. I don't see a model number on it. It's about three years old.

Picture rolling is a horizontal bar that moves from the top to the bottom of the screen over and over, giving the image the arrearance of "rolling".

They were downloaded movies. The files just say "winamp media file".

What were the extensions of the file? What type of files were they? Make sure file extensions are being shown by Windows (Tools -> Folder Options -> View).

I don't see a model number on it. It's about three years old.

It might be a compatability issue.

Try burning something else. Get a second opinion. Take a DVD you own, rip it as a VIDEO_TS folder or to an image file with a tool of your choice (I'd use something like DVD Shrink), and then burn it and see what happens.

When burning a VIDEO_TS folder in Nero, make sure when you select a "new" DVD compilation that you use the "DVD VIDEO" option and not the DVD-ROM (ISO) or DVD-ROM (BOOT) or any such thing. After that, just browse to the VIDEO_TS folder and drag it across (you'll see the default VIDEO_TS folder already there; don't worry, it'll overwrite that without prompting you).

For DVD image files, just go to Recorder -> Burn Image and browse to the image file (ISO, CUE with the BIN in the same folder, IMG, etc).

Also, remember, Google is your friend. Be sure to structure your query in such a way that you maximize your chances of getting help with your problem. I bet you're not the only one who has ever had this problem.

The files just say "winamp media file".

By the way, the only reason it says this is because Winamp is currently associated with these files.

It doesn't mean they have anything to do with Winamp.

For instance, I could associate Winamp with a text document.......or an HTML file.

It doesn't mean that Winamp is useful in that regard, and it also doesn't mean another program can't use those files.

Almost forgot. The burner is a Sony DRU-720A ATAPI/EIDE internal.

DVD+R Double layer.

you have exact same model Sony as i have mate...i have been doing a lot of dvd stuff lately and that model writer is as good as you can get....at the moment...so i doubt that the problems that you are having are burner related....kens advice is sound....get the dvd VOB files (which are really very large MPEG files) onto your harddrive and play around with them there..dvd shrink is first class and smartripper is really good too..they both decode encrypted dvd`s....smartripper has an option where you can just rip the movie (VOB) files to your harddrive without all the menus, trailers, directors comments and all that other useless bullshit..i have been making a lot of VCD`s in PAL format.......ripping the dvd vob files to the hddrive....i then use a small app called DVD2AVI which separates the DVD movie files and creates a dolby treated and mixed down WAV sound track in two separate files...then a brilliant app called TMPGenc combines the video and audio files into one very nice VCD file..which can then be split into 650MB chunks which fit nicely on a 700MB blank CD...1 DVD movie usually fits nicely on to 2 blank cd`s..this can be done with the video toolbox built into TMPGenc..the results are as good as a DVD to watch,,and in my view the audio sound is better.......and they play on an ordinary CD Rom.. if you have trouble withn DVD`s then VCD`s are certainly the way to go.....as to burning with nero....i find that to be an aquired taste.....there are many freeware DVD/CD burners that do the job just as well as nero....Deepburner 1.6 Free (i burned about 30 GB worth of DVD`s and VCD`s on this little baby last nite..no sweat..no errors...., HT Fireman 1.4 (also a very good freeware DVD burner)...... :)

Not sure if ya got $59.00 to drop but if you do get this baby......I did and I love it.

I burn most of my movies as data files and they play fine in it. Plays everything except WMV, Real and Quicktime and flicks with that damned Q-Pel codec.

Philips DVD Player (DVP642)

PHL DVP642

• Progressive scan

• Multi-format playback

• A/V versatility

• Store picture settings

post-88-1123012228.jpg

I can put 6 or 7 movies on a dvd-r as data file, the quality is just as good as if i convert them to dvd format and then only 1 movie will fit.

On the other hand, a lot of movies are in Divx or Xvid or whatever and are usually around 700mb and can fit on a cd-r (ya get more and they are cheaper than dvd-r's) and will play and have the same quality as if I put them on a dvd-r.

My sister in-law bought one, I kept telling her to and she finally gave in and she loves it too.......she's raiding the movies i've downloaded and burnt as I type this.

Well RBD, how's it goin........ain't that just the best dadgummed DVD player ya ever owned?

It's awesome!! The damn thing plays anything you can stuff in the drawer.

Everybody who downloads movies or any kind of video should have one.

:yup: