Beach Boys Monument in Calif. Vandalized

beachboys.jpgHAWTHORNE, Calif. - The new state historical landmark dedicated to the Beach Boys last month has already been the target of graffiti vandals.

The city quickly removed paint scrawled on the 119th Street monument and officials were considering a variety of security measures, including surveillance cameras, a fence or sealing it with a graffiti-resistant coating.

"I'm disappointed but not surprised. We knew (vandalism) would be an issue. I'm surprised it's gone this long without being tagged," said Harry Jarnagan, the Tracy construction engineer who led the drive to build the memorial dedicated May 21.

Read entire story here.

The walls in front of where I live were tagged the other night. Must be some rite of initiation for the local gangs... Kinda sad.

The new state historical landmark dedicated to the Beach Boys last month has already been the target of graffiti vandals.

The city quickly removed paint scrawled on the 119th Street monument and officials were considering a variety of security measures, including surveillance cameras, a fence or sealing it with a graffiti-resistant coating.

"I'm disappointed but not surprised. We knew (vandalism) would be an issue. I'm surprised it's gone this long without being tagged," said Harry Jarnagan, the Tracy construction engineer who led the drive to build the memorial dedicated May 21.

Beach Boys Brian, Carl and Dennis Wilson grew up in Hawthorne. The Wilson home was demolished in the 1980s to make way for the Century Freeway.

Mayor Larry Guidi said he plans to meet with officials from a company that provides Internet-based surveillance cameras that could help protect structures on city property, including the monument.

The Beach Boys landmark features a stone sculpture of the 1963 "Surfer Girl" album cover and six gold records inlaid around a bronze plaque designating the site as California Historical Landmark No. 1,041.

On Tuesday, the City Council considered a law that would allow the city to levy fines of up to $1,000 against people who vandalize landmarks on city property, City Attorney Glen Shishido said.

Police Lt. Wayne Salmon said there were no arrests in connection with Sunday's vandalism.

source:Associated Press

post-92-1119146767.gif

is there anywhere that says if the offending graffitti was like 'fuck the beachboys' or like that? or something more timely like 'out of Iraq'? or something totally off-topic like EAGLES SUCK? :lol:

is there anywhere that says if the offending graffitti was like 'fuck the beachboys' or like that? or something more timely like 'out of Iraq'? or something totally off-topic like EAGLES SUCK? :lol:

The graffiti is sort of an Aztecan stoner alphabet - no one can decipher what the hell it means

if you come across (ooer!) a photo of this, please post it, i wanna see.

if you come across (ooer!) a photo of this, please post it, i wanna see.

The next time they hit my place, I will :lol:

The graffiti is sort of an Aztecan stoner alphabet

somehow i missed this--now i really wanna see (my inner useless stoner might have a clue). :)