French reject EU constitution...Non, Non Monsieur

KiwiCoromandel

French voters have massively rejected the first-ever EU constitution in an historic referendum that deals a devastating blow to Europe's grand integration project, according to exit polls giving the "no" camp about 55%.

more here......

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/news_world_story_sk...0%3fformat=html

post-91-1117405697.jpg

I know nothing about this constitution, everyone here is taking the attitude if the French vote oui, I will look into it more. Me included.

I like the idea of Europe, it is something we should do. I'd be all for joining the Euro when the time is right, but:

It seems every law that comes out of Europe is stupid. It's dressed up as something to help the people, but as a result just pisses everyone off. What the hell is the deal with telling me how many hours a week I can work? I can;t think of anyone that law can help.

Too much money - where does it all go??

Not democratic enough. Voting based on economic stregth has to be the worst system ever concieved. We also need a higher % of directly elected MEPs.

Simplify the system so people know what they are voting for.

Bit more team work. Every country thinks its great when they are winning, but picks up the ball and goes home when they are not.

I agree with the above

A newspaper had the constitution included so everyone can read it here. I looked into it and I could say it was reasonable but I don't like the idea of the EU constitution being on top of each countries constitution.

France didn't exactly vote against EU. They voted against Chirac's goverment. Last night he announced huge changes which probably includes the change of the prime minister.

i haven't been paying attention thanks to the shitstorm in the states but isn't the EU mostly to get countries together so that the US isn't the only world-class superpower?

That's probably why the French are doing it Slum, other countries are in as it makes economic sense to be part of a trading block. It was oringinally set up to unite countries and stop the germans from raiding everywhere as soon as we turn our backs. I'm sure every country has there own reason.

the first form of the EU was the European Steel Union or something like that. Then it slowly turned into what it is today

I know that from trivial pursuit lol

European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC), 1st treaty organization of what has become the European Union; established by the Treaty of Paris (1952). It is also known as the Schuman Plan, after the French foreign minister, Robert Schuman, who proposed it in 1950. Member nations of ECSC pledged to pool their coal and steel resources by providing a unified market for their coal and steel products, lifting restrictions on imports and exports, and creating a unified labor market. Economically, the Coal and Steel Community achieved early success; between 1952 and 1960 iron and steel production rose by 75% in the ECSC nations, and industrial production rose 58%. When overproduction of coal became a problem after 1959, especially in Belgium, the ECSC demonstrated its flexibility by reducing Belgium's coal-producing capacity by 30% and by making available large sums of money to aid in retraining miners and developing new industries. The ECSC had, by 1970, granted about $150 million in aid to retrain over 400,000 coal miners. The executive machinery of the ECSC provided an important precedent for the future growth of a united Europe: the nine-member High Authority, which became a part of the European Commission in 1967, was chosen by the member governments and made independent of those governments. Its independence was guaranteed by providing the authority with its own source of income...blah blah blah blah

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method...8&curtab=2040_1

Dutch reject EU constitution.....

Dutch voters fired a second shot to the heart of the European project, rejecting the first-ever EU constitution after a campaign that exposed deep divisions over the direction of the continent.

An exit poll released as soon as voting closed showed more than 63% of voters had rejected the treaty, ignoring calls by all political parties to back the text.

more.....

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/news_world_story_sk...0%3fformat=html

post-91-1117658088.gif

All sorts of reports on this now. Some German magazine is going as far as saying there are discussions to disolve the Euro over it.

Despite all the newspaper reports and the guide to the constitution on the BBC site, I'm still unsure how I would vote. Lots of people seem to have suddernly gained the confidence to say they would vote against it, but dont have an answer when questioned why.

I noticed the Nee/Non voters being questioned as they exited polls in .nl and .fr generally ranted or gave no reason when asked why. The Oui/Ja voters at least had a reason - whether I agreed with it or not.

Perhaps years of making laws just because they can has come back to bite the EU on the arse.

I'm not sure how I would vote also but that doesn't mean that I don't like the EU. It's the common constitution that is over the country's own constitution that I don't like