Pixies Tour Officially A Go

Shawn

The much-ballyhooed reunion of seminal alternative rock act the Pixies is getting off the ground. Beyond a previously announced May 1 appearance at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in Indio, Calif., the group is now confirmed to open for the Red Hot Chili Peppers on June 15 at Paris' Parc Des Princes. The quartet has not played live together since disbanding in 1993.

Sources have confirmed to Billboard.com that dates are being booked, and guitarist/vocalist Frank Black's unofficial Web site reports that the Pixies will first embark on a North American warm-up tour that will lead up to the Coachella appearance. A full-scale tour will follow, encompassing both North America and summer European festivals.

Read the entire story at Billboard

From what i know so far its:

APRIL

14 Burton Cummings Theatre, Winnipeg, MB CANADA

15 Doris Knight Ballroom, Regina, SK CANADA

17 Prairieland, Saskatoon, SK CANADA

18 Red's, Edmonton, AB CANADA

19 MacEwan Hall, Calgary, AB CANADA

21 Victoria Curling Club, Victoria, BC CANADA

22-23 Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver, BC CANADA

24 Big Easy, Spokane, WA

25 The Big Easy, Boise, ID

27 MacDonald Theatre, Eugene, OR

29 Freeborn Hall, Davis, CA

MAY

1 Coachella Festival, Indio, CA

• 2 weeks later...

They oughta headline Lollapalooza this year...at least then we might get a chance to see them. Not surprised they are selling out shows in three minutes--I tried to get tickets to a Pixies show at Brown University in the early 90's, and same thing--tickets gone in 30 seconds. Not being a Brown student didn't help either, ivy league self-righteous bastards.

Pixies kick ass!

Billboard

Confirming that interest in the Pixies' music has not waned since the band's 1993 demise, 11 of the 12 shows scheduled for the group's impending reunion tour sold out within minutes over the weekend. At the 1,600-seat Prairieland venue in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, capacity has been doubled to accommodate additional fans.

"The demand has been so great," Prairieland events manager Carl Schlosser enthuses to Billboard.com. "We are the largest venue, so we'll be that overflow for fans who may have been shut out in other cities." Tickets for the 12th show on April 29 in Davis, Calif., go on sale March 1.

The Pixies have logged several weeks of rehearsal in Los Angeles in preparation for the North American dates, which culminate May 1 at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in Indio, Calif. "We were all a little nervous when we first got together, but within maybe five minutes, everything felt completely comfortable, and it was like the last 11 years had never happened," vocalist/guitarist Frank Black says in a statement.

Adds bassist Kim Deal, "I experienced what I call 'muscle memory' -- we'd be playing a song and I didn't even have to think about what note came next -- my fingers remembered what to play."

Following Coachella, the group will take a short break before hitting Europe for festivals and headlining appearances. So far, confirmed dates begin with a June 2-5 stand at London's Carling Brixton Academy and also include a June 11 appearance at the Super Bock Super Rock festival in Lisbon, two mid-June shows with the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Dublin and Paris and a July 10 set at the T in the Park festival in Kinross, U.K.

As an aside, the Coachella shows look damn hot--wish I could go! Not just for the Pixies--the Saturday May 1 show also features Radiohead (headlining), Kraftwerk, Wilco, International Noise Conspiracy, Sparta, Desert Sessions, Future Sound of London, Death Cab for Cutie, and Mark Farina amongst a dozen and a half others. Sunday May 2 has another 25 or so bands, including The Cure (headlining), Flaming Lips, Air, Basement Jaxx, Paul Van Dyk, Crystal Method, Adam Freeland and Mogwai...

Of the two, if I had to pick one, it's tough but I'd have to go with Saturday. Desert Sessions, FSOL, Radiohead AND the Pixies?!?

Me brain is already thinking how to get away with blackmail or bank robbery so as to afford go to this... :duck hunt:

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine "in the know" told me that the Pixies and the Cure will be going on tour together this summer... He told me a few weeks before the original tickets went on sale for the pre-Coachella shows, so I am assuming he is correct on this as well...