British Sea Power Banned by MTV

British Sea Power have been banned in America.

britishseapower.jpg

The Brighton quintet, who are currently touring the States, have been told that their new single 'Please Stand Up' is not suitable for MTV.

However rather than any offending visual content, it’s the use of word 'wet' that has apparently worried the American network.

'MTV USA have objected to a line in the video saying it doesn't meet standards. What standards does the line 'wetter and wetter' violate?” a spokesperson for the band told NME.COM. 'We would like to be told why this language from one of our richest, most literate groups is being squashed by a committee of McCarthyites.'

1.) What's the source of the article?

2.) How can you violate MTV standards? I didn't think they had any.

3.) Just out of curiosity, in what context was that line used? (Not that I have an objection either way). Is it possible that MTV took it out of context?

After a quick perusal of lyrics websites I was unable to locate the allegedly offensive words. One site does mention that in at least one instance their lyrics were misunderstood, though confusing "Oh my lassie" with "Oh molasses" would hardly provoke controversy...

Just listening to a few tracks now. They're good.

I can't find the lyrics anywhere for Please Stand Up. It's just a pretty chilled rock song though. I didn't hear "wetter and wetter", and it definately wouldn't have been "She got wetter and wetter as I jammed...". The song isnt exactly Candyshop!

I'll listen more carefully later.

Lyrics for 'Please Stand Up'

Take me somewhere quiet please

These motorway exit gates

Are calling to me dearly

And I need a place to go

And even numbers on a timetable

Arrivals and departures and

Those places, names

Never seemed so strange before

If there's anyone asking, did you get a rush?

There's no point in asking, it wasn't enough

There's nobody else here, so please stand up

The occultation of a summer sun

Was burning holes in everyone

Defenceless, what was left inside could finally escape

It seemed as if the streets had melted

It seemed as if the air was scented

I wish all of time could be like this

And then all of the sudden it's all better better

A little excitement makes us wetter wetter

Oh my love

Again, again, again, again my love

Thanks to saltywater.co.uk

British Sea Power: Danger To Corrupt U.S. Minds

Published: 2005-05-05

In yet another case quite similar to turning the word “hash” to “half”, the American music television station known as MTV has deemed the latest single from British Sea Power “improper” for American audiences. Probably the first time anyone has deigned to call the English indie rockers improper, the station cites that the words “wetter and wetter” from “Please Stand Up” are not suitable.

Apt to singing quirky tunes about trees and different types of rocks, it’s very likely “wetter and wetter” was not meant in the viewer-offending context MTV was probably thinking of. However, to take a line from our chart-topping friend 50 Cent’s “Candy Shop”, “I’ll let you lick the lollipop” is used in that context.

Even though the chances are absolutely nil that British Sea Power would be aired on MTV without the ban, the foliage-loving quintet is not very happy about the situation. A steamed-up spokesperson for BSP had this to say to NME.com: “MTV USA have objected to a line in the video saying it doesn't meet standards. What standards does the line “wetter and wetter" violate? We would like to be told why this language from one of our richest, most literate groups is being squashed by a committee of McCarthyites.”

Those who say “MTV be damned!” can check out British Sea Power as they tour Open Season around North America at this very moment. Canada gets just one visit: May 17th at Toronto’s Lee’s Palace. For a full listing of dates, go to www.britishseapower.co.uk.

http://www.soulshine.ca/news/newsarticle.php?nid=1921

Upon reading the lyrics, I don't see anything "indecent".

And if anything, I think we have a metaphorical situation with regards to the lyrics anyway, so me agreeing doesn't matter.

What's with MTV anyway? They play far "worse" material with regards to sexual content all the time.

Far far worse, as cited above with that jack ass rapper.

I see double standards here.

Actually, if you read the lyrics, "wetter and wetter" seems to indicate the use of "angel dust" (PCP). This is backed by the very unusual descriptions in the song about surroundings and feelings, and the connotation of "getting wet" as meaning the effects of using PCP.

Just a theory.

Edited by Ken

an exciting, original band...... exciting, original lyrics.......unexciting, unoriginal censorship decisions influenced by loony right wing revisionists....par for the course in the good ol` US of A..... <_>

....And then all of the sudden it's all better better

A little excitement makes us WETTER, WETTER... :o:o

Oh my love...

Again, again, again, again my love

..lyrics excerpt from:" Please Stand Up "......written by YAN/BSP

British Sea Power....

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/br...ower/openseason

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/rockandalt/revi...penseason.shtml

...MTV probably wouldn`t have banned the song in question if the title had been something along the lines of " American Sea Power ".... :)

B0007Y0978.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_