Sony's Portable Playstation Debuts

Sony Gears Up for U.S. PlayStation Portable Launch

Thu Mar 17, 2:15 PM ET

Entertainment - Reuters

By Ben Berkowitz

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - There is no doubt that Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE- news) (news - web sites). will have a hit on its hands in the PlayStation Portable video game and media player which launches next week -- and there is no doubt the industry needs it.

Read all about it here:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...deogames_psp_dc

post-18-1111224852.jpg

First Look: Sony's Impressive PlayStation Portable

A dashing display helps this handheld gaming device overcome some minor flaws.

It's black and shiny with clear acrylic buttons; it plays games, music, and movies; and it's coming to a store near you March 24. It's Sony's $250 PlayStation Portable, and after two days of intense testing, I've reached a conclusion: You're probably going to want one of these, despite a few minor flaws.

The first thing you notice when you remove the unit from the box is that big display.

The PSP's 4.3-inch, 480-by-272-pixel TFT LCD screen is absolutely beautiful, with bright, vibrant color on display during both game and movie play. Everyone who peeked at the PSP commented about how good the screen looked, and I have to agree, it's striking.

Read entire story here.

Just Past Midnight, the Game Is in Hand

By MATT RICHTEL

Published: March 25, 2005

SAN FRANCISCO, March 24 - Cheers erupting around him, Richard Roth stared into the glare of camera lights with the grin of an Olympic champion. He raised his arms, holding over his head his trophy: a new portable gaming device called the SonyPlayStation Portable, or PSP.

Read more here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/25/business...qa4yUNJ/eyXcspA

post-18-1111738308.jpg

Sony bets on strong US debut for PSP

Mar 26, 2005

With the North American launch of the PlayStation Portable (PSP), the new management of Sony Corp. faces probably the least troubling problem on its plate: whether it can make enough to meet demand.

The world's No. 2 consumer electronics maker is expecting more than a million gamers will snap up the PSP, essentially a handheld version of the PlayStation 2 console with a built-in screen.

Leading US electronics retailers such as Best Buy Co. Inc. and Circuit City Stores Inc. were expecting to quickly sell out of their initial stocks of the PSP, which is launching soon after Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s dual-screen DS.

"We have a million units that we have shipped into retail," said Kaz Hirai, chief executive of Sony's US games business, Sony Computer Entertainment America.

"The commitment is to ship 3 million units worldwide, so between Japan and the US... all systems are go to meet that commitment," Hirai said in a telephone interview from New York City, where Sony threw a party to kick off sales at midnight.

Read more.....

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/news_technology_sto...0%3fformat=html

post-18-1111819902.jpg

I want a Sony PSP so bad, but I can't find anywhere to get it for free. I can afford the Sony PSP at the moment, but then after that I will have no money because I am 13 and can not work. I will have to save up again which sucks.

Edited by Brandon

I want a Sony PSP so bad, but I can't find anywhere to get it for free. I can afford the Sony PSP at the moment, but then after that I will have no money because I am 13 and can not work. I will have to save up again which sucks.

Maybe you can split the costs with a bud - and take turns sharing it...

I am 13 and can not work.

*sigh* :lol: (but really!)

Personal Technology >> Business & legal

Sony to challenge block on PS2 sales

Sony will continue to sell its PlayStation 2 in the United States while it appeals a court-ordered ban on sales of the market-leading game console, the company said Monday.

http://news.com.com/Sony+ordered+to+pay+90...ml?tag=nefd.top

Hackers add Web and chat to PSP.....

Sony Corp.'s new PlayStation Portable is turning into a great tool for Web browsing, comics reading and online chat - and it also happens to play video games, movies and music, if you prefer that sort of thing.

The PSP handheld video game player went on sale in the United States on March 24, and it took very little time before techies added the kinds of functions to the PSP that Sony did not include - and may never have intended. One man needed only 24 hours to get a working client for Internet Relay Chat, or IRC, an older messaging platform.

more on this.......

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/news_technology_sto...0%3fformat=html

post-18-1113042400.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Playboy.com Offers Exclusive Image Gallery and Video Formatted for Sony's PlayStation Portable®

- Cyber Girl of the Year 2005 Amy Sue Cooper Featured in Site's "PlayboyStation Portable" Feature

NEW YORK, April 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Playboy.com today has announced its next step in delivering digital and downloadable beauties with the launch of its newest feature "PlayboyStation Portable." Given the tremendous popularity of the new Sony PlayStation Portable®, Playboy.com has created a sci-fi themed pictorial of the Cyber Girl of the Year 2005 Amy Sue Cooper that was photographed and formatted specifically for viewing on this device.

Playboy.com first harnessed the burgeoning handheld digital photo revolution last December by offering some of its sexiest girls next door in an exclusive "iBod" editorial feature for Apple's iPod Photo®. That feature was an international sensation, and thousands of tech-savvy customers visited Playboy.com to download the customized galleries.

"We know that many Playboy fans are also gaming enthusiasts who are likely to buy this type of device so it was a natural progression for us to design this sexy, action-themed feature," said John D. Thomas, editor of Playboy.com. "We always strive to stay ahead of the high-tech curve so as technology continues to change, we will continue to create features that will deliver Playboy content to customers on any media platform they wish to use."

Read entire story here.