What to do when your hard drive fails

Lord_of_the_Dense

It's been said that there are two types of hard drives: those that have failed and those that will. Sadly, this statement is absolutely true. Because hard drives contain lots of moving parts, they are more prone to wear and tear than just about any other part in your computer.

So, what do you do when a hard drive fails? If the drive is a part of a mirror set, a stripe set with parity or a mirrored stripe set, then you would simply replace the drive, and the lost data automatically regenerates onto the new drive.

But what if the failed drive is just an ordinary IDE interface that does not participate in a fault-tolerant set?

Read entire story here.

But what if the failed drive is just an ordinary IDE interface that does not participate in a fault-tolerant set?

duh? whenever something goes wrong i go 'CHRI-ISS!' :wub: over and over until he fixes it. :lol:

No need to assist in the suicide, it is already dead. I buy a new one, have inhouse tech support (son) reload the OS and stuff. Then I take the old one outside and shoot it to make me feel better and ensure some mofo doesn't somehow revive it and recover my data. Then place the old one in the trash and keep truckin'. I have lost several between my son and myself over the yrs. We keep stuff backed up and it isn't that big of a deal.

If you guys haven't tried shooting the dead hard drive you don't know what you are missing. It is therapeutic.

I once shot a pumpkin and really liked the look of pumpkin brain all over the place

You get the same basic results shooting liberals but with 2 differences.

1: You don't feel guilty afterwards because you haven't wasted something of value.

2: Far less brain material so the mess is easier to clean up.

Then I take the old one outside and shoot it to make me feel better.......

If you guys haven't tried shooting the dead hard drive you don't know what you are missing.  It is therapeutic.

ok red......you`re going to have to curb these violent tendencies.....they are decidedly unhealthy and this sort of behaviour just cannot be allowed to continue unchecked at beatking...this would have to be the only forum in the world where, when someone innocently and unexpectedly asks what to do with an ailing harddrive......they are then advised to take it outside and shoot it!!!!.....what next red..i ask you, what next?...hard drive snuff movies!! hard drives scattered from one end of texus to the other, all of them riddled with bulletholes that look suspiciously like they came from a GLOCK!!.....besides, i am reliably informed that capping is reserved only for mac hard drives.........old pc hard drives are being sent to beachfront retirement villages in miami.....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :o:o:lol::lol::lol:

post-88-1109998273.jpg

Edited by kiwibank

i am reliably informed that capping is reserved only for mac hard drives.......

jealous jealous jealous. :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

Hitachi aims 1TB desktop drives

Hitachi Global Storage Technologies is now testing sample drives based on perpendicular recording and has claimed that the technology can allow for 1 TB desktop drives or 20GB Microdrives in 2007.

read more.. ..

http://thebosh.com/archives/2005/04/hitachi_aims_1t.php

post-88-1112691358.jpg

When I was making my friends listen to the latest news as listed by google, that article about hitachi came up, and I spent far too long trying to explain to my friends what a terabyte was.