List of Songs Deemed Inappropriate

Shawn

From Wikipedia

In the days following the September 11, 2001 attacks on New York and Washington, D.C., many television and radio stations altered normal programming in response to the events. During this period, a list of "songs with questionable lyrics" purported to be from radio conglomerate Clear Channel Communications to its subsidiaries began to circulate on the internet. The actual origin of the list within Clear Channel is not clear: some sources claim that a small list was initially generated by program directors at the Clear Channel central office, while others have described it as a "grass-roots" effort among the company's program directors who originated, shared and added to the list via e-mail exchanges. Similarly, the intent of the list is unclear: many versions of the list included text indicating that the songs had been "banned" from airplay, while Clear Channel representatives have consistently stated that the list was the result of informal communication between employees attempting to react appropriately to the situation and was never an official mandate from the corporation to its subsidiaries.

Whatever its origins, a list containing about 150 songs was soon circulating widely and became the subject of numerous news reports and commentaries. Online discussions and commentary focused on the criteria for choosing the songs, which were derided as unreasonable and inconsistent. A number of songs were apparently placed on the list just because they had specific words such as plane, fly, or falling in their titles. Many people found it particularly ludicrous that John Lennon's "Imagine" was one of the songs listed.

Many individual stations did play songs from the list; conversely many stations also refrained from playing songs not on the list, due to lyrical content or simply because the music's tone or style seemed inappropriate. As the list apparently had no official status within Clear Channel, it also had no expiration date or retraction, and stations gradually returned many songs to their playlists.

Many versions of the list were circulated; the most commonly-cited and extensive version is detailed below. The songs are listed alphabetically by artist.

Tool - "Intolerance"

This actually suprised me.

I thought they would have went with Aenema instead. It would have "seemed" to Clear Channel like a much more "destructive" song.

Dave Matthews Band - "Crash Into Me"

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This is so sad.

They even performed at the tribute concert!

Fuel - "Bad Day"

Oh those silly people at Clear Channel.

http://www.beatking.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10490

Edited by Ken

Rage Against The Machine - all songs

the list is so hilarious.....

Steam - "Na Na Na Na Hey Hey"

System of a Down - "Chop Suey!"

The Trammps - "Disco Inferno"

Van Halen - "Jump"

Alien Ant Farm - "Smooth Criminal" (so the origianl michael jackson version is acceptable?)

# The Bangles - "Walk Like an Egyptian"

Phil Collins - "In the Air Tonight"

Korn - "Falling Away From Me"

Nine Inch Nails - "Head Like a Hole"

im not even going to begin to say how messed up this list is...

According to Steve Wishnia, the criteria for the suggested (lol) banning is as follows:

Clear Channel suggested that certain songs are "inappropriate" for airplay in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks:

1) Almost any reference to planes

2) Lyics that took on new context in light of the of the attacks. The Surfaris' instrumental "Wipeout." ROTFL

3) Funereal Stuff

4) Antiwar lyrics. John Lennon's "Imagine!!!

5) Pro-war tunes

6) Excessively positive songs

7) Nihilistic songs

8) Anything by Cat Stevens or Rage Against the Machine

9) Inexplicable Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York"? Neil Diamond's "America"?

Maybe they should have stopped playing music altogether

hahaha, so they've banned peter, paul and mary's 'leaving on a jet plane?' :lol: (i haven't looked and won't). and 'imagine?' :lol: what a bunch of assholes. i assume they've banned most of bob dylan's protest tunes? :lol:

if they knew about it, they would ban the entire alabama 3 back catalogue for its multi-mentions of drugs, drugs, more drugs (e.g., 'Hypo Full of Love'), more drugs mentions of 'hero-eeen,' ('too sick to pray'), 'coke-cayyne,' ('cocaine killed my community'), many songs about sex, politics (e.g., 'mao tse tsung said') and 'Peace in the Valley.' fuck clear channel. and i'm also assuming they've banned steve earle. morons.

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE? FUCK YOU, I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME! :lol:

Too hard to believe when you live outside the US.

You know, the land of the free

method, in a nutshell that's why i was so shocked when i came over here...i found more freedom in germany, of all places (and originally i dint wanna go there) and more personal freedom in the UK. before our first month was up in DE, i ended up feeling as if i'd been lied to all my life, totally betrayed by the (what i call) propaganda fed to me in school, through the media &c.