What was the best concert(s) you ever attended?

DudeAsInCool

As mentioned in a recent thread, mine was

1) The Atlantic City Pop Festival (1969), which happened two weeks before Woodstock and was far better organized and much more fun (according to friends who went to both)

http://www.e-rockworld.com/AtlanticCity.htm

Funner Ups, in no particular order:

2) Watkins Glen - The Dead, The Band, The Allman Brothers (More people here than Woodstock)

3) Stevie Wonder, playing backstage for 20 people after doing an encore at UCLA

for a Duke Ellington Tribute

4) Weather Report (at Penn State)

5) The Who & The James Gang (Spectrem, Philadelphia)

I'd say the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band back in 93 when they were having their 'grassroots' tour. They played a bunch of undersized venues, limited tickets to recreate their early days. It was pretty damn cool to be there.

I'd say the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band back in 93 when they were having their 'grassroots' tour.

I think I saw them at a bluegrrass festival once around the time that Will the Circle Be Unbroken was released - they were a helluva band. The 30th Anniversary Edition was remastered and released in 2003.

Reviewer:

Kurt A. Johnson (Marseilles, Illinois, USA) - See all my reviews

In 1971, the boys of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band got together with some of the all-time greats of Country music (including Earl Scruggs, Mother Maybelle Carter, Merle Travis, Roy Acuff and others), and produced a three record album that was one of the greatest Bluegrass Country music albums ever made. Some thirty years later, this album has been re-released on two CDs, with four bonus tracks (three are dialogue and the other is the Bluegrass classic, Foggy Mountain Breakdown).

This is a great CD collection. The music is absolutely wonderful to listen to, a real work of art, sure to be enjoyed by any Bluegrass fan. Though the title might suggest that this is a collection of religious songs, in fact only a few are overtly religious, while most are simply Bluegrass tunes played by real experts. I loved listening to this album, and highly recommend it to you!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...862419?v=glance

post-59-1104833933.jpg

Easily the best was Kid Creole & the Coconuts. I didn't want to go and was dragged along against my will. I thought they sucked until I saw them live.... well actually... their studio stuff still sucked :lol: Totally impressed by the unexpected energy.... or maybe I was just too wasted to know the difference...... nah !

I would have to say REO Speedwagon and Sweet at the Charleston Civic Center.

REO had just released their "You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish" album and Sweet was on their "farewell" tour. Sweet blew them away. If REO had of stayed backstage and never came on I don't think anyone would've cared. Sweet had expanded to 6 members instead of 4 and they rocked the roof off the damn place. All in all REO wasn't bad though, I had a helluva time at the show and it will always be my best "live" memory.

Without a DOUBT

Gov't Mule at the Beacon Jan. 31, 2004

HOLY SHIT! what a concert. They played for 5.5 hrs.

I STILL don't have my voice back... :lol:

U2 - Zoo TV Tour

The Roundup with The Allmans, Marshall Tucker, 38 Special, New Riders....at Giants Stadium

Tom Jones at Westbury Music Fair... :blink:

Mine are The Moody Blues....I have seen them over a dozen times, including Vegas! But my all time fav (well one of them anyway) is ROGER WATERS!! I had been waiting forever and a day to see him live when he came to town! I even got to see him backstage that day ( worked during the day).

Others include: REO Speedwagon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, and the many, many shows that I have worked......Got Elton John coming up at the Toyota Center in March.....

Do I really need to answer this?

:psychofun:

I never had the pleasure of seeing Queen live...........guess i'll have to stick with VHS and DVD for that one.

Saw them in Pittsburgh. At a small place called The Stanley Theatre. On Feb. 20 1976.

It was The Night At The opera tour. All of the tourographys list this show as The Syria Mosque. That's wrong.

:wub:

Black Sabbath-Heaven and Hell Tour w/ Dio as lead singer 1983 at the old Capital Center in Landover M.D.

My first concert and always will be the best one floor seats 5 rows from stage couldnt talk for a week after :lol:

Then there was Genisis-Phil Collins-Lets Dance Tour RFK Stadium in Washington DC. Ranks right up there with Sabbath.

the cure...wish tour 1992....rory gallagher in 1979.....ACDC with bon scott live in 1976.....lou reed...rock n roll animal tour about 1974/75....alice cooper..welcome to my nightmare tour in 1975....just some of them.....

post-59-1104988114.jpg

Edited by kiwibank

the cure...wish tour 1992....rory gallagher in 1979.....ACDC with bon scott live in 1976.....lou reed...rock n roll animal tour about 1974/75....alice cooper..welcome to my nightmare tour in 1975....just some of them.....

Saw Rory Gallagher with Taste; wish I could have seen Lou Reed's Rock 'n Roll Animal Tour--Stephen Hunter was an amazing guitarist, and probably the best guitarist in the world at that moment in time

Saw Rory Gallagher with Taste; wish I could have seen Lou Reed's Rock 'n Roll Animal Tour--Stephen Hunter was an amazing guitarist, and probably the best guitarist in the world at that moment in time

my first introduction to rory gallagher was a vinyl copy of taste in 1969...it blew me away..real power trio with the blues stuff...i liked on the boards as well (1970)..i have a copy of a bootleg...." rory gallagher at the bottom line club new york - 1979 " which is the closest i have heard to his raw, rougher taste days.....i was reading an article by someone who was at rory gallaghers last concert.....very sad......

post-59-1105003011.jpg

my first introduction to rory gallagher was a vinyl copy of taste in 1969...it blew me away..

I had this LP at one time - good stuff

Do I really need to answer this?

:psychofun:

I never had the pleasure of seeing Queen live...........guess i'll have to stick with VHS and DVD for that one.

Saw them in Pittsburgh. At a small place called The Stanley Theatre. On Feb. 20 1976.

It was The Night At The opera tour. All of the tourographys list this show as The Syria Mosque. That's wrong.

:wub:

Of all the times they toured here, I regretably only saw them twice... both times in the 80's.... Slane Castle and the RDS in Dublin. After Kid Creole, I'd have to say Queen. :D

and of the ones I can remember.... in no particular order

John Martyn

ACDC (with Bon Scott)

Boston

Doobie Brothers

Jethro Tull

Ian Gillan

Rick Wakeman

Rory Gallagher

Horslips

Thin Lizzy

Henry McCullough

the loudest...

Motorhead

the most disappointing...

(I managed to catch them on their 'off' day :( )

Mike Oldfield

Van Morrison

Bob Dylan

Santana

Jethro Tull

Forgot about them - saw them at the Strawberry Fields Pop Fest - yep, I'd have to add them to my best concerts list. Ironically, I didnt like Zeppelin or the Stones live that much.

Some other additons - Rickie Lee Jones and Van Morrison (the Wavelength Tour).