Lily Allen Responds to Criticism Surrounding "Hard Out Here" Dancers

Lily Allen Responds to Criticism Surrounding "Hard Out Here" Dancers

Lily Allen came back with a bang yesterday when she released her new video for "Hard Out Here", which doubles as a critique of sexism in the music industry. But now she's the one fielding criticism from those questioning her decision to use women of color as twerking back-up dancers. (Sound familiar? - Ed.)

Allen has taken to Twitter to respond to these criticisms, writing:

Privilege, Superiority and Misconceptions

1. If anyone thinks for a second that I requested specific ethnicities for the video, they're wrong.

2. If anyone thinks that after asking the girls to audition, I was going to send any of them away because of the colour of their skin, they're wrong.

3. The message is clear. Whilst I don’t want to offend anyone. I do strive to provoke thought and conversation. The video is meant to be a lighthearted satirical video that deals with objectification of women within modern pop culture. It has nothing to do with race, at all.

4. If I could dance like the ladies can, it would have been my arse on your screens; I actually rehearsed for two weeks trying to perfect my twerk, but failed miserably. If I was a little braver, I would have been wearing a bikini too, but I do not and I have chronic cellulite, which nobody wants to see. What I’m trying to say is that me being covered up has nothing to do with me wanting to disassociate myself from the girls, it has more to do with my own insecurities and I just wanted to feel as comfortable as possible on the shoot day.

5. I'm not going to apologise because I think that would imply that I’m guilty of something, but I promise you this, in no way do I feel superior to anyone, except paedophiles, rapists murderers etc., and I would not only be surprised but deeply saddened if I thought anyone came away from that video feeling taken advantage of,or compromised in any way.

Watch the video:

[url=http://pitchfork.com/news/52993-lily-allen-responds-to-criticism-of-hard-out-here-dancers/]View the full article[/url]