Principle calls girls "sluts" for midriff exposure

Wolfie

Calling pupils 'sluts' lands teacher aide in trouble

07 November 2004

By RACHEL GRUNWELL

A Catholic primary school principal has apologised to four 12-year-olds because a teacher aide called the girls "sluts" after they exposed their midriffs to sunbathe during a break.

Despite the apology, mothers of two of the pupils are unhappy with the handling of the matter by the school, St Francis de Sales in Wellington.

Carol Morgan and another mother who did not wish to be named wanted the teacher aide, Coll O'Connor, to apologise to the girls in front of the 18 students who heard the name-calling.

"The girls were humiliated publicly," said Morgan.

"The minimum I will accept is for them to be apologised to publicly."

The school's board chairwoman, Karen Corban, said she was astounded by O'Connor's comments, but accepted her written apology, which she considered sufficient.

Corban said O'Connor was a Catholic and had a great reputation.

"I honest to God think we did a good job (dealing with the complaint)," said Corban.

Principal Alan Fleming said the school was being examined by the Education Review Office (ERO) and it was not a good time to talk about the issue.

Commissioner for Children advocate John Brickell, who dealt with the complaint, said the public apology would be a fair remedy.

"It is a completely inappropriate word to use to girls that age. It's inappropriate in an educational setting."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3088949a11,00.html

ALL little kids wanna be part of (what they see as) the larger culture around them, y'know--part of growing up. w/that in mind, the teacher's a jerk for having called them that IMO...change the damn culture, if you don't like it (raving at the teacher).

too bad the little chicks didn't laugh in her face (as i used to do...it ALWAYS got to them) :lol:

four 12-year-olds

The teacher's aide has mental issues.

four 12-year-olds ...exposed their midriffs to sunbathe during a break

Am I that out of touch? I wonder about these stories.

My first instinct is to think the kids shouldn't be worried about that kind of shit. I guess what I was always told is true, every generation sees sinister behavior in the next generation.

I have a cousin who was into some pretty deep shit at age 14 but thinks today's youth is a danger. :D

Principle calls girls "sluts" for midriff exposure

Just like television news 'hooks'. When you read the story you find it isn't the way it has been presented. Damn corporate Wolfie!