The case for Kerry

Kooperman

The case for Kerry

Saturday October 30, 2004

The Guardian

Plenty of Americans believe it is none of our business whom they elect as their leader on Tuesday. But there are two underlying reasons why any presidential election matters to the rest of the world. The first concerns America's power. There is no nation in the history of the planet whose strength and actions more directly affect the whole human race than the United States. To an unprecedented degree, America makes the world's weather. Its economic, military and cultural might shapes our lives. If America goes to war, we are all embroiled, as the events of the past three years have certainly shown. If the American economy booms or busts, then ours follows suit. If America spurns global agreements on climate change, the whole planet is more vulnerable. Even our domestic politics are shaped by theirs, as the last three years have again dramatically proved. We may not have a vote, but our interests are at stake on November 2, as surely as if we lived in Ohio, Oklahoma or Oregon ourselves.

The second reason, more controversially for some, concerns America's example. There has never been a nation like the United States. Its creation was, at least arguably, the single greatest constitutional achievement of mankind in the last millennium. From the earliest days until now, the eyes of all people have indeed been upon America, just as John Winthrop claimed four centuries ago. We can debate whether the greatest of all US presidents was right to see America as "the last best hope of mankind". But it is a matter of fact that successive generations on every continent have shared Abraham Lincoln's optimism about his homeland, that they have been inspired by American opportunity and freedom, and that new generations continue to be so. Few nations may have been so fundamentally shaped by racial injustice as the US was, but none in the history of the world has ultimately made a greater success of mass migration and of multi-cultural life either. Anti-Americanism may be more rife than ever in many parts of our world, but even where it is strongest it is a matter of record that millions of people in these very same societies admire America above all other nations.

Since at least 1945, when the United States played the decisive role in creating the United Nations, an American presidential election has always been the single most influential event in the global political cycle. No such election, though, has mattered as overwhelmingly and urgently as this one. Four years ago, George Bush was beaten in the popular vote nationwide, yet captured the presidency because of electoral abuse in Florida and a shoddy legal judgment by the nation's highest court. Ever since, far from governing in the unifying manner that would have been appropriate in the circumstances (and that he briefly promised), he has done the opposite. But if Mr Bush has been partisan and confrontational at home - over the federal budget, education, race, civil liberty, the environment and a host of other social and cultural issues - he has been every bit as partisan and confrontational abroad. The attack of September 11 2001, an event of historic seriousness, created an unprecedented outpouring of solidarity worldwide. Three years later, much of that solidarity has been squandered. This has happened largely as a result of a war on Iraq that was not just ill-prepared and ill-executed in its own terms but that also exemplified the administration's aggressive contempt towards other nations, with disastrous consequences that continue to this day.

To adapt the words of Talleyrand, the Bush presidency has been not merely a crime but a mistake. Mr Bush has proved a terrifying failure in the world's most powerful office. He has made the world more angry, more dangerous and more divided - not less. This, above all, is why it matters to us, as it should to Americans, that John Kerry is elected on Tuesday. A safer world requires not just the example of American power but the power of American example. Mr Bush has done more to destroy America's good name in the world than any president in memory. Mr Kerry provides an opportunity to begin to repair the damage. It is as simple - and as important - as that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/leaders/story/0,...1339597,00.html

Whenever the case made is simply "because he's not so-and-so”, then I have no respect or confidence gained for that person.

I don't like Bush at all, and I think he is a corrupt individual, but I’m not going to throw my vote to someone else (Kerry), who I also do not like. That makes my vote even more worthless (as if it wasn’t already meaningless enough in the presidential race).

The lesser of the two "evils", so to speak, is a wasted vote, and a continuation of the cycle of politics in this country that I dream (practically every night) will be gone.

You want change? I got your change, just don’t bend down to pick it up if you’re in a prison shower….

1 - Minimum number of supporters/signatures/whatever (pick a fair number), and you are ON THE BALLOT IN EVERY STATE IN THE U.S. automatically.

2 - The Electoral College is GONE, GOODBYE, ADIOS (Republicans do not want this, I know, but too bad).

3 - Non-profit, no-holds-barred presidential debates (held by, let's say, National Public Radio and other non-greedy entities) with all or most candidates included (we'll make 6 the limit). When I say "no-holds-barred", I mean no topic restrictions and basically an end to the ridiculous 32 page "contract" which goes so far as to stuff about 150 "soft" supports of only the Reps. and Dems. into the audience and telling them they cannot make a sound. To me, that sounds blatantly ridiculous. Also, no more corporate advertising in any way shape or form.

4 - Crack down on "soft money" support. Rigged and strictly enforced campaigns; no more corruption.

Really, there is just too much corruption. It makes me sick to my stomach when I think about voting today.

I don't want to be "possibly" better off (slightly, with Kerry) I want significant advancement in our society which I assumed incorrectly would surface with time. It's 2004 and we're still going in circles.

Tomorrow, I will cast a write-in vote for “Carl Spackler” from Caddyshack in the presidential race. I know, it’s really Bill Murray, but I’m going for maximum effect. I’m also thinking of casting some write-in votes locally, and I intend to use “Giant Douche” and “Turd Sandwich” from the South Park episode that actually didn’t make me laugh, but made me queasy (a first). If I have any more time, I’ll make farting sounds while in the booth followed by a relaxed sigh.

Remember, this is our skewed democracy, have fun with it!

The case for Kerry huh?

He's so full of it he needs a case. :rolleyes:

A typical Repuglican response to anything containing inescapable truths, as this article from the Guardian does.

Reminds me of the debate in which Kerry was taking Bush to task for letting bin Laden escape in Tora Bora, all because he was burning to get at Iraq instead. Bush told the reporters that he didn't care much about bin Laden anymore, just didn't think about him at all. In his debate response, Bush said he didn't recall saying anything of the sort, and Kerry was just makin' one of them ex-aggerations. Needless to say, after the debate, virtually every TV show in the world showed the tapes of Bush saying, almost verbatim, exactly what Kerry claimed he said. The moral....if the truth is too ugly to refute, do a dance and make a funny face.

Good case for Kerry. I just wish we could get corruption out of politics. I personally feel for the next time around we need a woman to step up and see what can be accomplished. Women are just as capable of making good decisions and I may run in about 20 more years. :)

Well, my state, Kentucky, and the neighboring Indiana have closed the polls now. George Bush will easily win both states, but at least I voted my choice and neutralized my favorite Redneck in the popular vote total! :bigsmile:

but voting for characters in movies and TV shows isn't?

No, it's not.

It's a protest.

Waste can only be accomplished on the tangible in this election, in my opinion.

Nothing was wasted anyway because the only alternative I would have agreed with would have been to not vote for a president at all. Same results, but with the message that I think all the candidates to be inept.

No, it's not.

It's a protest.

Waste can only be accomplished on the tangible in this election, in my opinion.

Nothing was wasted anyway because the only alternative I would have agreed with would have been to not vote for a president at all. Same results, but with the message that I think all the candidates to be inept.

Good job Ken.

Since it became obvious late last night what was happening in this country concerning the election, I've gone to many internet sites and blogs checking out the attitudes of the people on each stop. The bitterness, name-calling and finger-pointing was incredible. It's understandable that people who supported Kerry took the election results hard. I took it hard. I really hoped my country saw the futility in allowing one political party to dominate politics and, by extension, our culture. There will be even more of a shift to right wing extremism in the USA now, in all aspects of our society. Our choice now is to accept it or figure out how to reorganize our opposition into a movement effective enough to withstand it. That will come only through reflection and time.

In the meantime I want to congratulate the conservatives we have here at BK, led by the yang to my ying, Redneck. They are all classy people who sat back throughout last night's butt-kicking the Democrats took and allowed us to make our anguished desperation posts without once jumping in and taunting us on our thrashing. I expected no less from them and I wasn't disappointed. Thanks to you all. Now go out and get your Bush tattoos before your big weekend dates with your sisters. :bigsmile:

It is easier to be a gracious winner than a gracious loser. I hate losing or being on the losing side. The only thing I hate worse is being taunted about it and I think that is a common feeling among virtually everyone. I read the posts last night as the election unfolded but I wasn't about to rub it in. I like the BeatKing bunch including the ones with whom I have polar opposite political views which is about 90% of BeatKing. Everyone voted their convictions and that's what it is all about. There are strong feelings on both sides and voter turnout was good. I'm glad it's over. I hope the best man won.

Just for the record: I voted against Kerry not for Bush. I think many people voted against Bush and not for Kerry. I think 90% of the votes cast were not for anyone......they were cast against the other candidate. As I said to Method in a pm yesterday, "It's a damn shame in a country of 280 million people this is the best we can do."

Good luck to us all.

I was impressed that the stem cell issue passed in California and spearheaded by Arnold. The more I see Arnold in action the more I beginning to like him as candidate.

anyone, please, instead of the unmentionables