Halloween takes time away from learning at school

Wolfie

School District Bans Halloween Festivities

Fri Oct 22,10:02 AM ET

SEATTLE (Reuters) - A Washington state school district has banned Halloween parties during the school day because it says children dressed up as goblins and witches take time away from learning, officials said on Thursday.

AP Photo Photo

AP Photo

Slideshow Slideshow: Halloween

"Our number one priority is protecting the instructional day," said Puyallup School District Superintendent Tony Apostle after the district canceled observance of the Oct. 31 celebration.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...dd_halloween_dc

i don't dig the discouragement of personal expression, not allowing kids to dress up for one day but having been a teacher, i totally understand how distracting it can be. i wonder if there could be a feasible compromise?

do you really think the kids in most US schools are smart enough to afford to play around for one day? i don't...don't have it here but w/i the last month there was a survey released comparing the kids in about 150 nations...we're woefully behind other countries.

do you really think the kids in most US schools are smart enough to afford to play around for one day?

Damn SG, you sure are a slave driver. :lol:

You done growed up and now you jest ain't no fun anymore. :(

You're ruint! :cry:

yeah, i'm ruint. *proud*

and yeah, i'm a slave-driver, i take education very seriously, especially w/young kids, i think it's very important (one of the few subjects on which i'm serious). then agian, you should've seen me when i was Ethics Officer at a drug rehab. *evil* hee hee

YOU worked at a drug rehab clinc? :rotfl:

:lol: yeah, it's funny but i worked at narconon (hah) in connecticut first as a counsellor than the staff made me ethics officer, ROTFL at the time (and still am when i think about it). they did because they figured nobody could bullshit me (and they were right). i left a few months after, couldn't stand the hypocrisy (and i was dying to get high anyway).

i actually do have ethics...somewhere ('i think they're down there somewhere, lemme take another look' sorry, channelling the big lebowski again).

nah, it was a place that housed ex-cons and baby pot smokers...the cons were easy to deal w/but the baby pot smokers thought they knew everything but the look on their faces during a search when i went straght to their stash cured them. :lol:

no, i found their stashes, big dif. :lol: (lousy quality weed and stupid pills; nothing i consider 'good') but yeah, it started me on the road to 'mean' and 'evil'

MWAH HA HAAAAAAH! *evil* :evil:

Edited by slum_goddess

WHAT-ever. what's w/this flip-flop thing you've got going? is that the best/worst you can call me/us/democrats/liberals/commies/bush-haters? :lol:

At least you don't flip-flop too much.   That's worse. :lol:

Coming in the middle of a Halloween thread, I'd say that this stuff is a bit off-topic, but SPOOKY nonetheless :lol:

The biggest flip-flop of all was the Bush administration using 911 and WMDs as an excuse to invade Iraq instead of going after Bin-Laden. ... :rofl: (Or is this that called switch and bait?)

And then when all was said and done, Rumsfeld saying that he never said there were WMDs in Iraq

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Let's face it, based on their actions (not words or voting records), the Bush administration are the biggest flip-floppers of all time--hell they dont even flip-flop - they lie throught their teeth shamelessly and try to pass them off for principles. Trick or Cheat is their motto when it comes to rhetoric

is that the best/worst you can call me/us/democrats/liberals/commies/bush-haters? :lol:

No but it is the nicest thing I can call you without my mama washing my mouth out with soap. :)

btw Dude, I read all that....and......what's your point? :lol:

Dude: Coming in the middle of a Halloween thread, I'd say that this stuff is a bit off-topic, but SPOOKY nonetheless

oooh, SPOOKY is good. as far as 'off topic' goes, it's ALWAYS about him *points at Redneck* him him him him him, his fault (never mine). :)

btw Dude, I read all that....and......what's your point? :lol:

:lol: more coffee spurt all over keyboard, screens... :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is spooky is that Dude believes that stuff. :o

so do i.

The school district people in this article and the anti-Halloween folks need to get a life!

Halloween Hits Streak Of Bad Luck in School

By Blaine Harden

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, October 31, 2004; Page A03

PUYALLUP, Wash. -- The school superintendent's order was final. Halloween was "prohibited" during school hours. Black cats, pointy hats and all images of witches could no longer be displayed in any of the 31 schools in this suburban city south of Seattle.

The first official reason: Halloween parties and costumes detract from the district's core mission of academic achievement in a competitive world.

The second official reason: "We have been contacted by followers of the Wiccan religion, and they indicated they have been offended after seeing elementary school depictions of witches with long noses, warts, cauldrons and such," said Tony Apostle, the superintendent who banned Halloween.

You can read all about it here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2004Oct30.html

"We have been contacted by followers of the Wiccan religion"

where in fuck were they when i was in school? i would've loved to known about them back then. and to make this clear, i have no problems w/halloween, just the distraction that costumes make in school.

*sigh* and yes, redneck, i've lived in california (for a year in berkeley and san francisco).