President Bush Declines BET Invitation

Lord_of_the_Dense

BET CEO Johnson Appeals to Top African Americans in Bush White House

WASHINGTON, Oct. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- After more than a month of waiting, BET finally got an answer from President George W. Bush to a formal invitation to address African-American voters in his own primetime BET NIGHTLY NEWS interview on the network. The answer is no.

BET Founder and CEO Robert Johnson first issued invitations to both President Bush and Democratic Presidential hopeful Senator John Kerry (D- Massachusetts) on September 14. He asked each of them to appear on the network to discuss issues of relevance to BET viewers during this crucial stretch of the 2004 Presidential Election campaign. Senator Kerry accepted, and his half-hour interview was televised on October 7. But according to representatives of the White House, President Bush's current schedule will not allow time for him to appear on BET, and they asked that the network approach him again, "after the election."

In response to the Bush decline, Mr. Johnson has sent an open letter to top African Americans in the Bush Administration -- Secretary of State Colin Powell, National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice, Secretary of Education Rod Paige, and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Alphonso Jackson; along with former Oklahoma Republican Congressman J. C. Watts, who is leading a grassroots group of African-American Republicans supporting the Bush re- election effort.

Read entire story here.

I'm not sure which debate it was, but Kerry had called out Bush on something about African American voters. When it was Bush's time to counter, he said that it wasn't true and that he had visited or talked or whatever the action was. This news appears to show Bush as being a hypocrite or sorts. Unless I'm missing something, why would he deny this opportunity? Too busy? Will he still want to see them if he happens to not get a second term?

This news appears to show Bush as being a hypocrite or sorts. Unless I'm missing something, why would he deny this opportunity?

Maybe because he's a racist.. or maybe it's because many african americans are poor .. .and we know he doesn't give a shit about poor people.....

To begin with, Bush has no record to run upon. He figures that there's no way he's going to get the Black vote, no matter what whoppers he spins, so he heads to the swing states to try to drum up votes. I don't think Bush is racist, he just doesn't need their vote, so he ignores them. People mean little to this administration...power is all that matters.

To begin with, Bush has no record to run upon. He figures that there's no way he's going to get the Black vote, no matter what whoppers he spins, so he heads to the swing states to try to drum up votes. I don't think Bush is racist, he just doesn't need their vote, so he ignores them. People mean little to this administration...power is all that matters.

Swing states like Ohio! Mary Poppins is magical. She'll help him win!

this is fucking AMAZING to me (just when i thought nothing he could do, could surprise me anymore) and tells me he doesn't give a shit about alienating black people (of which the US is comprised of i think 10%, not sure). and since he obviously doesn't care, it scares me that he's well on his way to stealing the election, 2000 redux. :(

what does colin powell think of this shit? last i looked, he was black. :evil: