Kinks' Ray Davies Shot While Thwarting Robbery Att

Kinks' Ray Davies shot while thwarting robbery attempt

Jan. 5, 2004  |  NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Singer-songwriter Ray Davies of the Kinks was shot in the leg while chasing thieves who snatched a purse from a woman he was with, police said Monday. He was not seriously injured.

Police said Davies, 59, and the woman were walking along the Quarter's Burgundy Street around 8:30 p.m. Sunday when the theft and shooting happened.

Davies was treated and released at a hospital, Capt. Marlon Defillo, a police spokesman, said. One suspect was captured within hours of the shooting and another was being sought.

The Kinks, part of the 1960s British invasion, had a string of hits including "You Really Got Me," "Sunny Afternoon," "All Day and All of the Night" and "Lola." Davies founded the band, known for its hard-edged, guitar-driven sound and witty lyrics, with his brother Dave.

I met her in a club down in old Soho

Where you drink champagne and it tastes just like cherry-cola

[LP version: Coca-Cola]

See-oh-el-aye cola

She walked up to me and she asked me to dance

I asked her her name and in a dark brown voice she said Lola

El-oh-el-aye Lola la-la-la-la Lola

Very cool band.

Kind of nice for once, despite the shittiness of it, to hear of a celebrity being injured trying to be noble.

Amen. Hope his recovery is quick and complete. I still remember hearing "Lola" when it first came out. I was in Hong Kong at the time and heard it over a local station. Of course, at the time, Hong Kong was British ... and any new music from British artists made it to the airwaves quickly (sometimes faster than in the States).