Dylan to receive honorary degree

dylan.jpgAmerican folk-rock singer Bob Dylan is to be awarded an honorary degree by Scotland's oldest university.

The University of St Andrews will make Bob Dylan a Doctor of Music at this year's summer graduation ceremony on 23 June.

Dylan has only ever accepted one other honorary degree - from Princeton University in 1970.

University principal, Dr Brian Lang, described Dylan as an "iconic figure for the 20th Century".

Mr Lang added: "His songs, and in particular his lyrics, are still part of our consciousness.

"We are very pleased to take this opportunity of honouring such a major artist."

Read the rest here

What exactly does an honorary "degree" get you, aside from bragging rights? Seriously, if some guy at augsburg was given an honorary doctorate in communications without doing a lick of work, while I toil away for my friggin bachelor's degree, I'd be pretty pissed off.

this is where Will Smith and his brother Carlton went in the prince of bel air tv show.....small world

Will Smith actually turned down a scholarship at MIT to sing and act. Sad thing is he has more respect now then he would with an education.

What exactly does an honorary "degree" get you, aside from bragging rights? Seriously, if some guy at augsburg was given an honorary doctorate in communications without doing a lick of work, while I toil away for my friggin bachelor's degree, I'd be pretty pissed off.

This isnt like giving some random new one hit wonder popstar a PHD, you dont think Dylan had to work to get this far?

Dylan is a fabulous musician, there is no doubt about that. Well, except to some of my friends who gag at the thought of listening to Bob Dylan over Linkin Park. I've never agreed with honorary degrees.

Dylan receives honorary degree

American folk-rock singer Bob Dylan has been awarded an honorary degree by Scotland's oldest university.

The University of St Andrews made Bob Dylan a Doctor of Music at this year's summer graduation ceremony on Wednesday.

Dylan has only ever accepted one other honorary degree - from Princeton University in 1970.

A garden party which was planned for after the event had to be held in doors because of the bad weather.

University principal, Dr Brian Lang, described Dylan as an "iconic figure for the 20th Century".

Mr Lang added: "His songs, and in particular his lyrics, are still part of our consciousness.

"We are very pleased to take this opportunity of honouring such a major artist."

The St Salvator's Chapel Choir performed its version of the Dylan classic, Blowin' in the Wind, before he stepped up to receive his degree.

Read the rest here