Tyler helps woman achieve her goals

May 19, 2004

Tyler helps woman achieve her goals

By LINDSEY WARD, FOR THE SUN

When Jan Smirnov bought tickets for last Friday's Aerosmith concert she had no idea she was on her way to achieving two important goals -- to tell the world about her incurable disease and to snag a kiss from frontman Steven Tyler. Smirnov, 47, is confined to a wheelchair and doctors have told her she only has several years to live. She suffers from scleroderma, which forms scars on the skin and organs.

During the Aerosmith concert, Smirnov tried to get Tyler's attention by holding up a sign stating I love you Steve Tyler, meet me on the other side and kiss me before I die, Steve.

At the time, she had no way of knowing whether she was successful. But after the concert she and her daughter, Laura, and several friends headed to the lobby of The Fairmont where the band was staying in hopes of stealing a kiss from Tyler.

Her hopes weren't in vain. When Tyler rolled into the hotel lobby shortly after 11 p.m., he headed right for Smirnov.

"I'm so glad you're here," Tyler told Smirnov. "I saw your poster at the concert and I just wanted to jump out in the crowd and give you a kiss."

Then Tyler asked Smirnov if he could sit on her lap. Thrilled, she said yes.

"He grabbed me by my face and then straddled me and asked 'What's wrong with you?' So I explained my disease and he said 'Aww.' in a scratchy voice and then gave me a kiss."

GAVE UP CAREER

Smirnov said Tyler held her hand as she explained how after she was diagnosed, she gave up her career as a physiotherapist and sold her possessions, including her home. She wanted to have enough money to give her kids something special to remember her by.

It was special, indeed.

Smirnov used the money to take her daughters Laura, 17, Lindsay, 21, and son Scott, 24, to concerts across Canada and Europe. "I don't have a lot of time left so I try to do what I love the most and that's share the music," said Smirnov.

"I said to him, it's because of your music and the fact that you still play is why I'm still here."

Smirnov told him she didn't want his pity, but wanted him instead to tell the world about scleroderma because most people don't know it exists.

"Then that's what I'll do," said Tyler. "I was thrilled because it's been my goal to tell world about my disease," she said.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/WinnipegSun/.../19/464143.html