And the MPAA wonders why ppl download DVDs

There are alot of truths within the article. However, most people dont understand that most theatrical films dont make profits until the DVD. Movies are expensive to make and market, and with consumers wanting something new every week, few movies last that long in the theaters. It should be also be noted that movies are mostly a margin business, particular with stars demanding 20m and a percentage of the gross. Last but not least, dvds are inexpensively priced compared to cd's and they come with extra's. Why they have all the extra editions though is beyond me...

I really do buy DVD's of the movies I like, but I have been burned several times by this whole multiple edition thing too. For example, when the Fellowship of the Ring came out I bought it on the first day. Then 4 months later the special edition with extra scenes came out so that was another hit in the pocket. Learning my lesson I resisted the urgh of buying the Two Towers (does not mean I never saw it on DVD, lol) and waited till the special edition came out to purchase.

If they put out one good edition I would buy it (as you said they are cheaper than CDs if you figure cost production and all) but whwn mutiple editions are involved most ppl who are not made of money will opt more economical methods of acquiring them.

The way I see it, if I pay for one version I would not feel too guilty about acquiring the other versions by alternative means. :bigsmile:

I think if someone buys one digital version, they should be able to do whatever they want it on any medium, including downloading it again

I could've predicted the Kill Bill scenario. I loved the movie(s) and have/will download both, but I knew not to buy the 1st DVD because a nice boxed set was imminent. I'll wait for that later this year or next - and buy that.

DVDs still are worth the money, but look out for stuff like that... I don't get into the extras so much, but sometimes you just gotta wait.

I waited for the extended versions of LOTR, and have been buying those, but I bet something even better will come out once all three have been released.

Watch some huge Matrix Collection will come out next, but I don't really care because Revolutions sucked so bad it isn't worth more than a download anyway...