Basketball coaches get it in the shorts

Bombardier

It looks like the Boston Celtics are canning their coach after losing in round one of the playoffs.

---------------

Carroll out as Celtics' coach

WALTHAM, Mass. (AP) -- After being fired, John Carroll got a job recommendation from Danny Ainge.

``John Carroll did a fantastic job for our team based on the situation he was given,'' Ainge said Monday after announcing that Carroll would not be promoted from interim coach and given a permanent job.

``In the right circumstances, at the right time and the right place, John Carroll is very qualified to coach in the NBA,'' Ainge said. ``This is a time that we need to make a change.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oD...ov=ap&type=lgns

-----------------

I notice this often when teams either don't make it to the playoffs, or lose in it.

The coach is always the scapegoat and seems like is always the one to get canned. Ok, I understand that every team needs a really good coach and the coaching ability can substantially effect the team, but I feel too much of the blame is placed on coaches.

The players (the actual "team" part) are truely the ones not performing well when the team loses or fails to win in the playoffs (or make it there in the first place). However, I never hear of 'players' getting canned. Of course not, they're multi-million dollar agents in contract.

I think team management should take a good look at the players on their NBA team before casting any doubt upon the team's coach or assistant coach.

With all the corporate firing these days its a wonder any of these companies last. The bottom line today mentality makes no sense in the long run