Political Split Is Pervasive

Kooperman

Political Split Is Pervasive

Clash of Cultures Is Driven by Targeted Appeals and Reinforced by Geography

By David Von Drehle

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, April 25, 2004; Page A01

First of three articles

The past decade has been one of the most eventful in American political history, from the Republican takeover of Congress to the presidential impeachment, the resignation of two speakers of the House, the deadlocked presidential election, the 2001 terrorist attacks, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and more.

And yet, like a bathroom scale springing back to zero, the electorate keeps returning to near-parity. It's happening again: A little more than six months before Election Day, numerous polls find President Bush in a very tight race with Democratic challenger Sen. John F. Kerry among a sharply divided electorate. A large number of voters -- seven in 10, according to one Pew Research Center poll -- say they have already made up their minds and cannot be swayed.

For the complete LONG article click here (registration required):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2004Apr24.html

I thought the mind was a terrible thing to TASTE...

This reminds of the guy in "conservative" thread--increasingly America and Americans are polarized, dichotimized into two increasingly hostile and intractible camps. At least I'm in the intelligent one, lol.

yeah, i hear you, CTC Command. in the late 80s in my first Developmental Psych class we were learning about people and IQ and i read the median (so-called 'normal') for IQ in the States was 100. my first thought was 'dear christ...people like reagan and bush (sr.) are stupid.' little did i know.