Changing Music Industry

livemusic

Found this through a colleague. I'm always kind of interested in business models of different artists, and how everyone seems to kind of agree that MUSIC IS FREE, and artists need to make money, not through music, but through touring and selling creative merchandise.

Check this out:

(It's for THE CULT)

Free single giveaway: http://aderra.net/Cult_download.html
Their merch site: http://cultcapsulestore.com/

Trent Reznor does a great job of coming up with creative ways to make money.

Any more links / comments?

I think the music business is going to go the way of the movie business, where individual investors back a project. David Bowie and Prince are good examples of artists creating their own brand and capitalizing on it.

Since we are in a social media age, musicians will do best if they continuously update their fans (e.g. Radiohead, Imogen Heap)

Things might evolve someday where someone posts something by a band, and if it gets enough hits on the web, then the fan shares a minor participation in the profits

Other business models:

Bandcamp seems to work as a place for Musicians to launch and sell their music

Kickstarter allows artists to present their work and obtain investors

MySpace is evolving into a pop culture center for information and music. I think it's better than most people give it credit for and think it will be turning a corner soon

[quote name='livemusic' date='28 November 2010 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1291010473' post='191749']
and check out Aderra. really innovative new revenue streams..
[/quote]

[i]Aderra records live concerts to flash drives and MicroSD wristbands which are available to the audience immediately after the performance[/i]
[i]
[/i]
[i][img]http://www.beatking.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif[/img][/i]
[i]
[/i]