Pink Becomes Janis Joplin

Pink is going to play Janis Joplin in a forthcoming movie but she has a rival ? Renee Zellwegger. There are two Janis biopics on the way.

Pink will play Janis in Penelope Spheeris' 'The Gospel According To Janis' and Renee is believed to have signed on as Janis for the bigger Hollywood production 'Piece Of My Heart'.

Penelope's previous films include 'Wayne's World' and 'The Beverly Hillbillies'.

Pink was previously seen in a minor role in Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle. Renee starred in Cold Mountain. Before 'Piece of My Heart' reaches out screens sometime in 2005, we will see Renee reviving her role as Bridget Jones in 'Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason' due later this year.

This isn't the first time the story of Janis has made its way to the big screen but it is definitely the first official time. In 1979, Bette Midler played the lead role in The Rose. The movie had almost an identical storyline to that of the life of Janis Joplin and started out as a Janis pic but failed to get approval for the Joplin estate. Instead, Bette ended up playing the fictitious Mary Rose Foster, a star who lived the life of sex, drugs and rock and roll and died at the age of 27.

I saw Pink sing a janis joplin song at the willie nelson gala on tv not long ago, she was excellent, I'm looking forward to her performance, one popular performer that I think is true to her performance, I've listened to most of her music and she may not be a modern day janis joplin but an artist that I feel will mature into a good artist, worth watching, one of those artists that linked my daughter's listening tastes to mine.

Its a bit of tough choice there. On the one hand Pink playing the role would make musical performances more realistic, however, Renee is an Oscar winner actress and would probably be better in term of acting performance. Personally I think Pink has the right look and attitude for the role compare to Renee.

My only reservation is that too many musical artists think they are actors, and vice versa. DMX is the only succesfull example of somebody starting in one and fipping to the other, IMHO.