Songs Deemed Inappropriate By Clear Channel Following 911

From Wikipedia:

This is a list of songs purportedly deemed inappropriate by Clear Channel Communications following the September 11, 2001 attacks. In the days following the attacks, many television and radio stations altered normal programming in response to the events. During this period, the rumor spread that Clear Channel and its subsidiaries had established a list of "songs with questionable lyrics" that stations might not want to play after the attacks. This list was distributed by the independent newsletter Hits Daily Double, which is not affiliated with Clear Channel.

Snopes did research on the subject and concluded that the list did exist as a suggestion for radio stations but noted that it was not an outright ban on the songs in question.

The list contains 166 songs, including "all songs" by Rage Against the Machine and songs done by multiple artists (for example "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" by Bob Dylan and the same song by Guns N' Roses). Interestingly, the cover of "Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm is on the list despite the fact that the original version, sung by Michael Jackson, is not.

Clear Channel denied the existence of such a list in a press release to a radio industry trade publication, Radio Ink, although they had already admitted to distributing it.

See the full list of 166 songs, from A - Z, right HERE.

Awesome.

I'm not sure my favorite parts are the ones that I can easily see what tangent they were on or the ones that I cannot.

* Louis Armstrong – "What a Wonderful World"

* The Bangles – "Walk Like an Egyptian"

* Barenaked Ladies – "Falling for the First Time"

* Beastie Boys – "Sabotage" and "Sure Shot"

* The Beatles – "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"

* Pat Benatar – "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" and "Love Is a Battlefield"