RIP to my Pixel Fold: Dead after four days

My dead Pixel Fold display. That huge white gradient should not be there.

Enlarge / My dead Pixel Fold display. That huge white gradient should not be there. (credit: Ron Amadeo)

A flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long. That was my brief experience with the Pixel Fold, which was a wonderful little device until the display died, along with my hopes and dreams. I barely used it, but it was beautiful.

I didn't do anything to deserve this. The phone sat on my desk while I wrote about it, and I would occasionally stop to poke the screen, take a screenshot, or open and close it. It was never dropped or exposed to a significant amount of grit, nor had it gone through the years of normal wear and tear that phones are expected to survive. This was the lightest possible usage of a phone, and it still broke.

The flexible OLED screen died after four days. The bottom 10 pixels of the Pixel Fold went dead first, forming a white line of 100 percent brightness pixels that blazed across the bottom of the screen. The entire left half of the foldable display stopped responding to touch, too, and an hour later, a white gradient started growing upward across the display.

Read 9 remaining paragraphs | Comments

View the full article

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now