3 BEAT CELEBRATE 18 YEARS WITH “BACK TO THE OLD ‘POOL” PARTY

zoelee

3 BEAT CELEBRATE 18 YEARS WITH “BACK TO THE OLD ‘POOL” PARTY

Influential Liverpool record shop 3 Beat, become one of clubland’s longest running brands in November when they reach their 18th year. To celebrate this fact, on Saturday November 10th, the 3 Beat team are putting on a very special party at the Carling Academy in Liverpool, that will reflect the history and legacy of the 3 Beat name. The party is called “Back To The Old ‘Pool” and flying to Liverpool to headline is the godfather of house, Marshall Jefferson with a PA from house legend, Ce Ce Rogers.

In 1989, the UK was succumbing to the sounds of house music; from Chicago, Italy and New York, it was the sound of a new generation. However, there were few places you could buy it until 3 Beat opened its doors in Liverpool. All the big name DJs, Pete Tong, Sasha, Paul Oakenfold, Judge Jules and more, shopped there religiously via their world famous mail order service. The business rapidly boomed, leading to the birth of the 3 Beat record label and the now legendary G-Love club night (set up with scouse legend John Kelly), which was voted Mixmag’s ‘Club of the Year’ in 1991. Now “Back To The Old ‘Pool” will turn back the clock and let us hear the tunes that built the foundations of the global house music scene once again.

NewImage-2.jpg

When you talk of the foundations of house music there is one name that rises to the top, Chicago DJ and producer Marshall Jefferson. In 1986 he played piano on a house music record for the first time ever and in 1987 he produced the first ‘acid house’ record, launching the career of DJ Pierre. He went on to launch and influence the careers of Ten City, Kym Mazelle, Ce Ce Rogers, Frankie Knuckles, Steve ‘Silk’ Hurley, Felix Da Housecat and more. In the history of house, all roads lead back to Marshall Jefferson; there’s no name better to help celebrate the unique history of 3 Beat.

Alongside Marshall Jefferson is Ce Ce Rogers, another legendary name performing two of his best loved tracks ‘Someday’ (rated no.3 in Mixmag’s ‘100 Greatest Records Of All Time’) and ‘All Join Hands’. This is a rare treat to see this great vocalist performing tracks which hold a special place in the evolution of 3 Beat (and house music!)

Other DJs have been integral in the success of 3 Beat since the beginning and have played major roles in developing the house music scene in Liverpool and beyond. “Back To The Old ‘Pool” will also see them rocking the dancefloor at the Carling Academy. DJs’s such as Steve Proctor, a regular DJ at Danny Rampling’s groundbreaking Shoom parties; Andy Carroll and Mike Knowler, the first DJs to play regular acid house at James Barton’s pioneering late ‘80’s Liverpool club night, Daisy and who went on to transform Quadrant Park in Bootle into the first superclub; DJ Pluto, one of the most respected G-Love regular DJs; Pezz, manager of the 3 Beat record shop and accomplished DJ as part of the D.I.Y. crew; Steve Parry, another of the 3 Beat team listing the seminal Shelly’s in 1991 on his DJ CV; and local DJ/promoter Ian Kenyon the man behind the hugely popular classics nights Quad Reunions and Daisy Revisited.

With all this history and a line up second to none, when 3 Beat decides to take you “Back To The Old Pool” it should do exactly what it says on the tin…

Back To The Old ‘Pool, Sat 10th November

Carling Academy Liverpool, 11-13 Hotham Street, Liverpool, L3 5UF

LINE UP: Marshall Jefferson / Steve Proctor / Andy Carroll / Mike Knowler / DJ Pluto / Pezz / Steve Parry / Cutter / Miss SaySay / Ian Kenyon / Thomas Tuft + PA from Ce Ce Rogers

10pm-4am / £12.50 + BF http://www.ticketweb.co.uk

For all media enquiries please contact:

James Hamilton @ Sliding Doors Publicity E: [email protected] T: 020 8582 0404 / 07957 690 652

BTTOP-60x40out1.jpg

WHAT THOSE IN THE KNOW HAVE TO SAY ABOUT 3 BEAT….

"One of the finest record stores in the UK, it's a bit of an institution, still going from strength to strength" Pete Tong

"Those bloody scousers! I don't know what I'd have done without them. A consistent source of quality music for 18 years. Happy birthday 3 Beat." Dave Seaman

"...your stuff is simply essential for me, as I still play loads of vinyls! Thanx 4 the great service and happy B’Day!"

Timo Maas

“I remember 3 beat records when it just a group of mates who had a passion for great music – nice to see that some things never change! Happy Birthday!” James Barton

“3beat is the Deathrow Records of dance music retailers, 18 years straight....Suge Knight eat ya heart out :-)” Micky Slim

“Back in the day when I used to buy vinyl, Liverpool would be the place I’d travel just to go check out 3 beat!

Now I still go there – just virtually via cyberspace! Happy birthday guys!” D Ramirez

“Well done to 3 Beat records for 18 years of bootlegs, track suits, curly wigs and shoddy service in the music industry why do I still deal with them?” Jon Digweed

"18? I remember when I was 18. It was all about sex. Just like the boys who work at 3 Beat. Only not as meaningful. Obviously." Graeme Park

"Happy Birthday you old tarts, thanks for supplying the world with the best music in town, and the town with the best music in the world" Andy Moor

"3 Beat, top place staffed by some of the friendliest, nicest people in the business. Packed to the rafters with boat loads of cool house music" Barry Gilbey

"there is no other" Alex K

"3beat is and has been a leader for upfront dance music since I started buying records 18 years ago. The proof is in their success rate year in and year out." Chris Fortier

"3Beat records & 3Beat Digital have the full Koma & Bones seal of approval! Good service, good laugh and great tunes” Koma & Bones

“3 beat were the first shop I would turn to whenever I needed that little gem for a set. Great service. Here's to the next 18 years ;)” Chris Lake

“Happy 18th. Top shop, top staff, top of the pile!!!” Stuart Knight (Toolroom Records)

"Congrats to Rob, Steve and all at Liverpool's finest and hope that you all keep doing your thing for another 18!" Dubfire

“Carlsberg don't do dance music emporiums, but if they did, it would probably be called 3 BEAT!” Streetlife DJs

“Congrat's on 18th Birthday guy's....you are the only record shop worth visiting, that knows what they are talking about and with customer service that makes you want to keep coming back...keep them tracks coming from under the counter Thomas and roll on the next 18 years!” Alan Hartley (Twisted Elegance)

“Anyone who has been involved in dance music knows how important 3 Beat has been to the scenes development and it is testament to their ability to set the pace and stay ahead of game that the shop is as relevant today as it ever has been over the last 18 years.” Amato Distribution

“The best credit and most patient staff in the world... Oh and they sell great records too.” Dave Gardner

“Very few record shops can claim to have been there from the start, and still be there today. 3 beat has had successful labels, DJs and a very consistent shop for many years. Fair play to them all and long live the scousers. Great football, good tunes , dodgy kebabs and even dodgier birds. We salute you Liverpool and 3beat. ps thats the reds not the blues” Rowan Blades

“To all the big dawgs at 3 beat records, big up’s!!!” Max C (Axwell Vocalist for ‘I Found U’)

"3 Beat has helped me so much over the years , made some good mates over there as well. Here's to another 18 years” Neil Evans (Nascent Recordings)

“I have been buying records and worked with 3 beat the last 6 years, and it has always been great service and good upfront music in different genres of music.” Nils Noa

“At some point everyone in the scene will have come across 3Beat - undoubtedly an institution in the UK & worldwide dance industry mostly due to their quality, consistency and enthusiasm.” James @ Twisted Frequency

’18 already… that’s what you say. Let me see your driving license luv…’ Cass

“3Beat...congratulations and all the best. Without you guys, our little label, Quark Records would have remained just that, a little US based label. Much success for the next 18 years!” Curtis Urbina, Quark Records

“Gotta say happy Birthday to 3 Beat… 18 Years??? Jesus how old are the staff then? Thomas isn’t even fully grown yet!!!” Mark (Peppermint Jam)

“One of the most well know & influential brands in UK dance business of the last 18th years. Keep up all the great work & keep pushing boundaries. Good to see 3Beat still leading the way at 18! Quality shines through! Happy B’day!” Joel Xavier (Head of A&R Seamless/bargrooves/Whoop/Kinky Vinyl)

“3 Beat are always on the look out for quality, ‘great tunes’ is their middle name. It makes us work harder as these boys require the best, thank 3 Beat for standards.” Futureproof

"Congratulations for the this anniversary! Awesome record store and label I been digging since I started DJ’ing. Thanx a lot for the xclusive promos too :)) all the best xx" Ricky Ryan

"The shop has remained relevant all these years, whatever the constant shift in trends have changed, 3 Beat and it's staff have always been on the ball and supplied it's customers with the most up to date music of the time, and across a broad range of electronic genres….Great shop, great staff....plus I bought my first ever twelve from 3 Beat!"

Leigh Morgan (Urbantorque Recordings)

“3 beat were instrumental in the success of the Bassheads and they always sold more copies of my early tracks than any other UK shop.” Desa (Bassheads)

"The 3 Beat guys have great taste in music ... but just as importantly they are rock solid on the business side and are always a pleasure to work with." Jondi & Spesh (Loöq Records)