Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me, The Ecology (Video & Lyrics)

"Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" was the second single from Marvin Gaye's legendary 1971 album, What's Going On.

Following the breakthrough of the title track's success, this song, written solely by Gaye, became one of his most poignant anthems of sorrow at the world dealing with the environment. Led by Gaye playing piano, strings conducted by Paul Riser, multi-tracking vocals from Gaye and additional background vocals by The Andantes, the instrumentals provided by The Funk Brothers and a leading sax solo by Wild Bill Moore, the song rose to #4 on Billboard's Pop Singles chart and #1 for two weeks on the R&B singles charts on August 14 through to August 27, 1971. As the single became his second million seller from What's Going On the album crashed on the soul album charts in the top five, and began charging up the pop rankings. "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" soon became one of Gaye's most famous songs in his extensive catalogue. In 2002 it was his third single recording to win a "Grammy Hall of Fame" Award. - Wikipedia

Mercy, Mercy Me

Oh, mercy mercy me

Oh, things ain't what they used to be

No, no

Where did all the blue sky go?

Poison is the wind that blows

From the north, east, south, and sea

Oh, mercy mercy me

No, no

Oil wasted on the oceans and upon our seas

Fish full of mercury

Oh, mercy mercy me

No, no

Radiation in the ground and in the sky

Animals and birds who live nearby are dying

Oh, mercy mercy me

What about this overcrowded land?

How much more abuse from man can you stand?

My sweet Lord

My sweet Lord

My sweet Lord

Source

post-9-1185136126.jpg