Internet will make live performances 'redundant' - Townshend

The Who guitarist has branded live shows "absurd" and believes world tours will soon be a thing of the past.

Townshend said in a magazine interview: "Live performing is becoming an absurdity. The internet could and should make it redundant.

"Until global live internet events satisfy music fans who need to feel involved, I must travel the longest distance to be with them.

"Roger Daltrey and I are back on the road now, touring, doubtful we can get away with it for much longer, but not caring much if we don't - the audience are in charge, after all."

The legendary musician also claims he invented the first portable tape player and is furious he didn't patent it before electronics giant Sony.

Townshend said: "I would carry around with me some kind of sound system to use while driving. I developed a number of portable players employing headphones, eventually coming up with something very much like the Walkman cassette machine.

"I was furious when I realised I hadn't had the time or the inclination to patent it and Sony would develope it and rule the world.

source:Bang! Showbiz

image:www.rockstar.it:PETE TOWNSHEND...live performances will be "REDUNDANT"...

post-193-1178579414_thumb.jpg

World Tours are crap. They're always held in huge arenas or, even worse, football/baseball stadiums. The performers are specks on a stage and too many times the acoustics are terrible. What's to enjoy there? I'd much rather see performances in intimate venues where the sound is great and the performers are in the same area code as you...but they can't rack up the big bucks this way, so these shows don't exist any more.

Good point, Koop. But still there's nothing like being there. One example comes to mind. I saw Fleetwood Mac in Pittsburgh's Three Rivers Stadium in the 70's. That's far from the best place for a band like that.

But I loved every minute of it!!

Crowd.jpg

World Tours are crap. They're always held in huge arenas or, even worse, football/baseball stadiums. The performers are specks on a stage and too many times the acoustics are terrible. What's to enjoy there? I'd much rather see performances in intimate venues where the sound is great and the performers are in the same area code as you...but they can't rack up the big bucks this way, so these shows don't exist any more.

it's not a matter of big bucks Koop. It has to do with the size of the group. You don't expect today's big groups (Coldplay, U2) to play in bars do you? Still, most of the groups play in small venues

it's not a matter of big bucks Koop. It has to do with the size of the group. You don't expect today's big groups (Coldplay, U2) to play in bars do you? Still, most of the groups play in small venues

festival settings seem to work--they are a mix of big and small crowds, depending upon the band--sxsw, coachella, bonnaroo, all over europe, etc. if anything the internet is making concerts more popular

it's not a matter of big bucks Koop. It has to do with the size of the group. You don't expect today's big groups (Coldplay, U2) to play in bars do you?

I'm not talking about bars. I'm talking about smaller concert sites which are enclosed, with tight acoustics, seating from 2-10 thousand people. If the big groups are doing money grabs, like the Stones do, then these sites aren't even considered. But if you ask musicians, like Keith Richards, which sites are musically best, then almost all will choose the more intimate venues.

In 1973 I saw Foghat and Spooky Tooth live in a gym which might have held a couple thousand people...most enjoyable concert I ever attended.

In 1973 I saw Foghat and Spooky Tooth live in a gym which might have held a couple thousand people...most enjoyable concert I ever attended.

I got tickets for a concert of NGDB in which they had sectioned off 2000 seats and gave their "intimate performance". It was incredible.

most of the concerts I go to are in small venues and I don't mean bars. Huge groups want the cash though and you are correct about that. The best place to see a big group play for less people is England. It must be a tradition there