Mark Altekruse - Electronica Guitarist

DudeAsInCool

Mark Altekruse mixes acoustic and electric gutiars that control synthesizers. Together with his writing partner, Lee Groves he has assembled what feels like a mini-Ep on his MySpace Page. I have chosen two cuts to listen to today: the uptempo Latin song, 'Central With Free D', which features the beautiful Free Dominiguez on vocals; and 'Ambient', in whick Alekruse seemingly takes on a space ride with his synthesized guitar. Beautiful stuff. You can listen to it HERE. Enjoy.

post-9-1170535179_thumb.jpg

post-9-1170535191_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi D.A.I.C. :)

Thanks so much for finding our music on myspace. Since your original post we have changed the name of the project. I have always been a bit uneasy just having this under my name as it is truly the work of so many people. After much consternation (uh, did I spell that right??) Lee and I have named the project Hex Orchestra and we have posted some of the new tracks in progress here.

For those who visit the site you will hear Dominic Miller (Sting) who performed on Peace, Vernon Reid (Living Colour/Masque) who solo'd on Experiment, and Nina Madhoo (London based singer/lyricist) on Redemption Day.

We are finished tracking parts on the album and will begin mixing this week followed by a mastering session. We will let everyone know when this album will be available as soon as all the T's & C's are (bits and pieces) are sorted.

All the best!

Mark

Hey Mark, thanx for dropping by and for the update. I really enjoy your music... Good luck with the new session.

Hey Mark

Would you like to talk about the upcoming album and some of the electronic techniques you used for its creation?

Sure. You want to take the lead on this or should I just fire away?

M

Here are some starter questions: Who are your influences? What kind of guitar do you use? How do you blend electronics with it?

fire away.

OK, I will do my best and will try not to ramble (but I usually do so I will ask forgiveness outright) :wacko:

With regard to influences there are many. But from the entire spectrum of musicians, composers and songwriters I would most certainly include Jimi Hendrix, John McLaughlin, Pat Metheny, Joni Mitchell, Igor Stravinsky, the teachings of Howard Roberts, Pat Martino, and so many of the same names that so many have counted as influencers before....but, egads, as I write this I realize that the list is so long it would be ludicrous to attempt to put all the names down. Aside from the teachings of my father who is a prolific artist and my mother who was a fine musician, the most profound influence on me was one of my teachers from years ago. His name was Mac McKernan (he passed away nearly 5 years ago). I studied the works of major composers with him and he opened the door to many melodic, harmonic and rhythmic concepts. From him I learned not to be afraid to reach out - not to worry what other people thought - just reach for the muse.

Just summing up this influence question: any and all music that touches the heart is inspiring to me. But influences are not limited to music. The world of photography, painting, sculpture, film and an awareness of socio-politcal spectrum have influence on all of us as musicians. As musicians we hear music from all of our sensory experiences. That is the easy part. The hard part is is capturing the music heard in the minds ear in some physical, recorded form when these sensory experiences offer musical inspiration.

And that is exactly what is so inspiring about working with Lee Groves. Lee has been able to take our combined melodic and harmonic concepts and bring them to life. Hex Orchestra is really all about three musicians (myself, Lee Groves and Pete Marett) who capture musical ideas using our various instruments and Logic Pro, then engage our sphere of friends who wish to be part of the continued musical exploration. Lee then adds his magic using a Mac and Logic Pro and the process of production begins. That in and of itself is a whole topic. Many actually.

You also asked about guitars. Uh-oh. This is where I get into trouble. I have a serious case of Guitar Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) :^) At the moment I am using and following acoustics, solid-bodies, and semi-hollows:

Taylor 614 CE with Neves K4 preamp

Baby Taylor (3/4 size)

Benito Acoustic

Gibson Centennial Series Nick Lucas

1972 Pimental Nylon

1966 Bill Barker Archtop (once owned by - get this - Nancy Sinatra. At least that was the story I was told...."these boots....)

Gibson ES 335

Veilette Baritone 12 String

Parker Fly Deluxe

Godin Multiac steel string

Godin Multiac nylon string

Brian Moore C90P.13

Brian Moore i4P Bass

No-name 4 string bass

Ibanez George Benson GB-10

Fender Stratocaster

You also asked about blending the sounds of the guitars with electronics. I use very little outboard gear. A few pedals every now and then and I also own a Vox Tonelab (the one with a couple of rocker pedals). Virtually all the other sounds happen in Logic Pro. I use several virtual amplifiers - the Waves GTR 2.0, Amplitube 2.0, Native Instruments Guitar Rig and Guitar Amp Pro in Logic. Between all of these plugs I can get virtually every amp sound that I hear in my head. All the other effects are plugs from Logic Pro and a host of other AU plugs from a variety of manufacturers.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. :D

M

Thanx for the reply. It seems that Logic Pro is pretty versatile; perhaps you can talk about creating efx on that.

Now that you have mentioned it, I can definitely hear the Matheny influence.

Awesome guitar list. I have considered getting a baby Taylor. I have a Gibson Les Paul Epiphone, which a friend gave to me and am considering modifying it with Humbucking Pickups and Grover Tuning Pegs--anything else you would add to the modifications?