The Kinks - All Day & All Of the Night (1965)

DudeAsInCool

This is a fascinating video of a 60s tv broadcast - Annette Funicello introduces The Kinks, who lipsync this song, while in the backdrop, some country-dressed chicks stand around like mannequins. For the younger folks who want to know, Ray Davies was considered the British Bob Dylan (see the video which follows this post), and the Kinks are in part responsible for what became heavy metal. I still think the song holds up today...

Another early broadcast...and this time Ray Davie's holds up the Dylanesque standard I mentioned above with this lip-synched performance of A Well Respected Man, a swipe at the Corporate man of the era... The words still strike home today and the song still works for me, too.

i like how Davies stuck his tongue out while "singing" :lol:

The Kinks were a mighty influence on many more artists than one might suspect. I enjoy the Kinks early period, but I am also a big fan of their "comeback" phase in the late 70's & early 80's, coterminous with Van Halen's "You Really Got Me" remake. Davies always wrote great stuff--crunchy hooks and tasty chops with funny, biting social and political satire.

"Gallon of Gas" could easily make a comeback in 2006...

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now