Don't buy that new PC just yet

KiwiCoromandel

IF YOU'RE in the market for a new desktop PC, we suggest that you keep your wallet in your pocket for just a few weeks more. The reason? Intel has just released a new breed of superchip, christened Core 2 Duo, which leaves even the mightiest Pentium processors eating its digital dust.

And despite taking a razor to the wholesale price of the former king of the CPU jungle, the new Core 2 Duo line remains relatively closely priced to the Pentium series while blazing past it in every stopwatch test. So if you've got your eye on a new PC, cool your heels and keep saving.

By the middle of next month you'll be able to buy a Core 2 Duo machine for not much more than today's Pentium-based desktops. If money is really tight, you can shop around for a Pentium system for much less than today's asking price.

Expert websites and respected technical magazines are reporting real-world gains of 30 per cent for recording and ripping video and 40 per cent for running Photoshop. The US online hub AnandTech.com found that even the cheapest Core 2 Duo chip outgunned Intel's Pentium Extreme Edition hot rod.

more.......

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/08/08/1154802893859.html

post-193-1155165412_thumb.jpg

The Mac sites I visited today believe that Intel Cor Duo Macs users like me will be able to do the upgrade to the new chip rather easily - I certainly hope to...

"Expert websites and respected technical magazines are reporting real-world gains of 30 per cent for recording and ripping video"......as you know dude i just got one of these new intel dual core/processor outfits running 2GB of RAM.....and media conversion speed is very fast mate....a lot faster than my other amd64/asus system....the faster processing speed is very noticeable.....POWER!!!..POWER!!..i must have more POWER!!

post-193-1155170327_thumb.jpg