Prince Festival

DudeAsInCool

I originally posted one cut, but then decided to turn this thread in to a Prince tribute. Join me in selecting your favorite songs and tidbits...

Prince is back in top form with Money Don't Matter 2Night and you can listen to it at Napster

Prince (born Prince Rogers Nelson on June 7, 1958), known as (or informally, the Artist Formerly Known as Prince) from 1993 to 2000, is a popular and influential American musician. His music has spanned a myriad of styles; though his early material was firmly rooted in R&B, funk and soul, he has constantly expanded his musical palette throughout his career, absorbing many other genres including new wave, pop, rock, blues, jazz, and hip-hop. The distinctive characteristics of the early-to-mid 1980s work which brought him to superstardom (which include sparse and industrial-sounding drum machine arrangements, as well as the use of synthesizer riffs to fulfill the role traditionally occupied by horn riffs in earlier R&B, funk & soul music) became known as the "Minneapolis sound," which proved heavily influential. He has a reputation as a workaholic, having released over a thousand songs both under his own name and through other artists, and is known for having composed and recorded many more songs that remain unreleased. Regarded as a perfectionist, Prince has a reputation as being somewhat difficult to work with, and for being highly protective of his music. He writes, composes, and produces most of his music single-handedly, and plays most of the instruments on his albums. He also is a well-known songwriter for other artists, and some of those songs have topped the charts as well.I initially posted one song, but then thought, what the hell, Prince is deserving of his own music festival. Join me in selecting and posting your favorite Prince songs.

Read more at Wikipedia

post-9-1154221135.jpg

Pink Cashmere was always one of my favorite Prince cuts. I'm not big on strings and falsetto voices in general - but Prince brings it all together here. Listen at Napster

I think of California girls when ever I listen to Little Red Corvette. It's the perfect adolescent fantasy song and you can hear it here

I thought Prince stole the show at George Harrison's induction to the the music hall of fame - see for yourself.