network of forcing him out. "My departure before the term of my

contract represents CBS's final acknowledgement, after a protracted

struggle, that they had not lived up to their obligation to allow me to

do substantive work there. As for their offers of a future with only an

office but no assignments, it just isn't in me to sit around doing

nothing. So I will do the work I love elsewhere, and I look forward to

sharing details about that soon."

Source

Shame on CBS. I won't ever watch another broadcast by this network.

post-9-1150835677_thumb.jpg

Dan Rather leaves CBS in unceremonious end.......

Newsman Dan Rather is leaving the CBS network after 44 years as an anchor and reporter with his departure clouded by a reporting scandal over President George W Bush's military record.

His career highlights ranged across the spectrum of recent US history, from the 1963 assassination of President John F Kennedy to the Watergate scandal that brought down President Richard Nixon in 1974.

"Of all the famous names associated with CBS News, the biggest and brightest on the marquee are (Edward R.) Murrow, (Walter) Cronkite and Rather," CBS News and Sports President Sean McManus said of the man who was CBS's news anchor for 24 years and was known for his tough reporting and odd phrases.

CBS News said it would air a prime-time special to mark Rather's career in the fall but that it could not reach a deal to renew his contract, which was to expire in November.

more here.......

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3707326a1860,00.html