Critic Calls Gibson Movie Anti-Semitic

Kooperman

Critic Calls Gibson Movie Anti-Semitic

1 hour, 16 minutes ago

By Arthur Spiegelman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - While preview audiences are leaving theaters deeply moved by Mel Gibson (news)'s controversial new film "The Passion of the Christ," critics are slamming it for excessive violence, questioning its spiritual message and wondering aloud if it is anti-Semitic.

With the film opening in 2,800 theaters on Wednesday, the Los Angeles Times ran a rare front-page review warning that the movie was certain to divide people and the New York Daily News called it an anti-Semitic work with violence that was "grotesque, savage and often fetishized" in slow motion.

New York Post critic Lou Lumenick calls the film "an impressive, ultra-violent -- and deeply troubling -- take on Jesus' final hours" even as his paper ran a front-page story saying that audience reaction was extremely positive with viewers weeping and declaring they would never be the same.

Daily News critic Jami Bernard said: "No child should see this movie. Even adults are at risk. Mel Gibson's 'The Passion of the Christ' is the most virulently anti-Semitic movie since the German propaganda films of World War II. It is sickening, much more brutal than any 'Lethal Weapon."'

While calling the film undeniably powerful, she adds that it "feels like a propaganda tool rather than entertainment for a general audience." Bernard also said that "Jews are vilified, in ways both little and big, pretty much nonstop for two hours, seven minutes. Gibson cuts from the hook nose of one bad Jewish character to the hook nose of another in the ensuing scene."

The Los Angeles Times' Kenneth Turan said, "The film left me in the grip of a profound despair, and not for reasons I would have thought. It wasn't simply because of 'The Passion's' overwhelming level of on-screen violence, a litany of tortures ending in a beyond-graphic crucifixion.

"And it wasn't because of the treatment of the high priest Caiphas and the Hebrew power elite of Jesus' time, a disturbing portrait likely to give, I feel sure unintentionally, comfort to anti-Semites. Instead, what is profoundly disheartening is that people of goodwill will see this film in completely different ways.

"Where I see almost sadistic violence, they will see transcendence; where I see blame, they will see truth."

Turan added that Gibson's "career-long interest in martyrdom" and his belief in the Gospels' literal truth "have sideswiped this film. What is left is a film so narrowly focused as to be inaccessible for all but the devout. Those factors have made "The Passion" a film that will separate people rather than bring them together."

Turan notes that Gibson and others involved in the film have denied that the film blames the Jews for Jesus' death but adds, "It would be impossible for any disinterested viewer (if one could be found) to escape the fact that 'The Passion' does not just mention in passing but is centered dramatically on the culpability of the Jews.

"This notion, sometimes called blood libel or blood guilt, has led to untold suffering and death over hundreds and hundreds of years, and should have given someone, even a believer, pause."

But while the critics zero in on the film's faults, many preview audiences are leaving theaters say they felt inspired by the film.

In Overland Park, Kansas, leaders of the First Family Church sold 3,500 seats to nine showings of the movie, offering Gospel sermons after the closing credits.

Leaders of the southern Baptist-based church were polling every attendee and asking those seeing the film to "commit themselves to Christ" and so far scores of movie-goers have, said First Family associate pastor Jeremy Johnston.

"It is overwhelming," he said. "We're going to see hundreds of (faith commitment) decisions by the end of the week. They're inviting Christ into their lives." (Additional reporting by Carey Gillam)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...sure_passion_dc

• 4 weeks later...

Or perhaps fascist...

French Distributor Denies 'Passion' Is 'Fascist'

PARIS (Hollywood Reporter) - The distributor who will release Mel Gibson (news)'s controversial movie "The Passion of the Christ" in France next week defended the film on Tuesday after a leading French exhibitor dubbed it "fascist propaganda.

"This is not a fascist movie -- on the contrary," Franco-Tunisian producer Tarak Ben Ammar said in an interview. "Fifty million people have seen the film so far, I don't think they're all fascists. It's a very serious allegation. A man's work of that magnitude cannot just be dismissed as fascist."

Marin Karmitz, president of independent cinema group MK2, has refused to program "Passion" in his chain of Parisian theaters, and has branded the film fascist propaganda, as well as revisionist and anti-Semitic.

Read complete story here.

My actual feeling is that it's just a movie...those who try to make too much of it are taking it too far. If Gibson was trying to be Anti-Semitic or Fascist or promoting blasphemy, then he missed...what he did hit on was the formula for a box-office smash.

This looks like a good place for this...

'Passion' Prompts Confession From Neo-Nazi

OSLO, Norway - A Norwegian man trying to put his neo-Nazi past behind him confessed to bombing a youth group's headquarters in the 1990s, saying he admitted his guilt after seeing "The Passion of the Christ."

The Oslo district court on Monday ordered Johnny Olsen, 41, held for two weeks for investigation after he turned himself in to police during the weekend. He said he conducted two bombings in 1994 and 1995 of a left-wing youth group's headquarters. No one was injured in the separate attacks on the Blitz House in downtown Oslo.

Olsen, who was convicted of murder when he was a teenager and served 12 years in prison, said he was moved to his confession by Mel Gibson's film that graphically portrays Christ's crucifixion.

Read entire story here.

personal opinion:

it's hard for me to understand where in the movie the Jews are being villified as a group. I felt the movie portrayed/conveyed an overwhelming sense of fear, sadness, and helplessness of a people oppressed not only by conquerors but by their own religious leaders.

such mob mentality and strong belief in those holding positions of religious leadership would be difficult to dispel even on the longer term basis of months rather than days. in much the same way that the U.S. is now questioning why, as a nation, we took the "initiative" in Iraq with what may be 'mis'information (not a political comment.. just was a good analogy). time allows the luxury to examine and sort fact from accusation.

blame can only come into play if questioning why the populace didn't object to...heinous torture and punishment. NOTE: the torture and punishment were carried out by Roman soldiers (who were obviously known to draw immense--albiet perverted--pleasure in doing so) not the people. if we hold the jews as a people responsible then are all U.S. citizens responsible for not intervening earlier in WWII and thus culpable in Hitlers actions? are all german descendants forever branded as following the Nazi regime? ...you get the idea

i've heard the mention of Jewish stereotypes more from Hebrews than from Gentiles. living in the bible belt that is saying quite a lot. there will always be the cadre who hold the Jews as a people responsible for the crucifixtion of Christ. sadly some religious faiths seem to support that belief and i often wonder if that is an "interpretation" or a tenet of the religious dogma.

if i were a theological scholar i could address the issues with greater clarity, but i'm not and offer only my opinion. the movie was indeed moving and worthwhile.

I haven't seen the movie yet myself, but I suspect that the people who had such overt and vocal opinions carried the pre-conceived opinion through the doors as they entered the theater. The movie only galvanized what they wanted to believe

because they filtered everything else in the movie out.

It's good to remember every time you point a finger at someone else, there are three fingers pointing back at you.

What a lot of religious people who like to place blame forget, is that their own religion teaches that they are the ones responsible for killing Christ by their sin... ultimately requiring a sacrifice in their stead, because the wages of sin is death. Who actually carried out the dirty deed is irrelevant!

I've not seen the movie either... but it seems hyped out of all proportion. It's a movie.... and therefore probably not 100% historically factual. :rolleyes:

Education fingered...

Calif. Teacher Fired for 'Passion' Credit

NORTH HIGHLANDS, Calif. - A teacher at a Catholic school said he was fired for offering extra credit to his seventh-graders for watching "The Passion of the Christ."

Stephen Hathorn, 50, said he had taught at the St. Lawrence School in North Highlands, a Sacramento suburb, for five years before being dismissed last week.

The hugely popular R-rated film depicting the story of Christ's crucifixion was produced by Mel Gibson (news). It has been criticized for its graphic scenes of torture and violence, and some contend it is anti-Semitic.

Read entire story here.