Bush Calls On Gay Marriage Ban

DudeAsInCool

President Bush reaffirmed his support for a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage today as the Senate began several days of debate on the measure, which is not expected to be passed.

The president, speaking at the Eisenhower Executive Office Building in Washington, said an amendment defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman was necessary because too many "activist judges" had tried to overturn efforts by voters in several states to ban marriages or civil unions between same-sex partners.

Source: NY Times

As if there weren't more important issues for the country to worry about! What a joke. It won't pass the Senate. It's simply political pandering by the President to the Christian Right.

Is it almost election time already?

Of course this isn't for Bush's sake; he's helping out his Republican friends (who will showcase themselves by supporting the measure), though I wonder if he has any of those left.

He's such a horrible....well...everything, that he alienated people from his own party, and not just slightly.

He has hardcore Republicans in the house and Senate asking sarcastically if the United States even has a Legislative branch anymore (due to the incredibly large volume of "signing statements" he's produced).

I guess he just figured they wouldn’t raise a fuss about losing their very purpose in government. Oops.

Bush press secretary says gay marriage amendment civil rights measure; Stumbles when asked to define civil rights

RAW STORY

Published: Monday June 5, 2006

Print This | Email This

At the White House press briefing today, Bush press secretary Tony Snow signaled that Bush considers an amendment barring same-sex marriage a "civil rights" matter, then stumbled when asked to define civil rights, RAW STORY has found. A video of the comments can be found here.

Relevant transcript from White House press briefing follows, followed by full transcript relating to all questions about the Federal Marriage Amendment.

#

WHITE HOUSE PRESS SECRETARY TONY SNOW: Whether it passes or not, as you know, Terry, there have been a number of cases where civil rights matters have risen on a number of occasions, and they've been brought up for repeated consideration by the United States Senate and other legislative bodies...

Q You mentioned civil rights. Are you comparing this to various civil rights measures which have come to the Congress over the years?

MR. SNOW: Not -- well, these -- it --

Q Is this a civil right?

MR. SNOW: Marriage? It actually -- what we're really talking about here is an attempt to try to maintain the traditional meaning of an institution that has maintained one meeting for -- meaning for a period of centuries. And furthermore --

Q And you would equate that with civil rights?

MR. SNOW: No, I'm just saying that I think -- well, I don't know. How do you define civil rights?

Q It's not up to me. Up to you.

MR. SNOW: Okay. Well, no, it's your question. So I -- if I --

Q (Chuckles.)

MR. SNOW: I need to get a more precise definition.

Source

:lol: