Alabama3 - Last Train to Mashville

DudeAsInCool

Alabama 3

Reviewer Jim Clark

BBC.com

...Let me introduce you to the Alabama 3.

The band have released four albums in four years and are best known for the track Woke Up This Morning, which is The Sopranos' theme tune.

Alabama 3 got together in the 1980s when preacher's son Larry Love and Jake Black, the son of a Glaswegian trades unionist, met at an acid house party.

They thought it would be interesting to sing Hank Williams songs over a techno beat.

This turned out to be a better idea than either of them could have guessed.

Over the last 10 years Alabama 3 have developed a unique live act with a strong following.

The band are now seven strong with Larry Love (Rob Spragg) and the Reverend Dr. D. Wayne Love (Jake Black) on vocals, the Mountain of Love (Piers Marsh) programming drum machines, percussionist Sir Real Congaman Love (Simon Edwards), the Spirit (Orlando Harrison) on keyboards, guitarist Captain Empiricist (Mark Sams) and L.B Dope (Jonny Delafons) on drums.

Their music is a twisted blend of country, folk rock, blues and electro with a dark British sense of humour.

Their latest album, Last Train To Mashville: Volume Two - I've no idea what happened to volume one - is an acoustic 'best of'.

It includes tracks from their three previous albums: Exile On Clodharbour Lane, La Peste and Power In The Blood.

The night kicked off with Alabama 3 unplugged. This set comprised of five tunes including Woke Up This Morning and You Don't Dance To Tekno Anymore.

Then, after a lengthy pause while keyboards and drum machines were being assembled, it was as if all hell had been let loose.

The previously calm and sedate crowd, which ranged hugely from women in their fifties to teenage lads, jumped up in unison and started dancing, singing and shouting yee-haa!

This is exactly what they had come to see: A3 in hi-octane mode and taking no prisoners.

Everybody I spoke to as I left was delighted with the gig, which covered most of their back catalogue.

My favourite moment was the beautiful acoustic rendition of Mansion On The Hill, played just before the interval.

I would urge you to see Alabama 3 whether or not you like their music for one reason - there is no other band quite like them.

http://212.58.240.32/norfolk/music/gigs/alabama3_dec03.shtml

thank you for this link; i hadn't seen it yet. but it's a bit off:

Their music is a twisted blend of country, folk rock, blues and electro with a dark British sense of humour.
this isn't a country or folkie type band, not by a long shot. :lol: and they left out the heavy rock and drugs references and all the cursing but hey, it's the BBC. thanks again. i need a motherfucking access all-areas pass tonight...' ah, you had to be there. ^_^

i just noticed the topic's 'LTTM' (title of 4th & 5th albums) and this is a review of one of the gigs on the last tour...wotever works. :lol:

i hope my cursing hasn't turned anyone off in above post--i was quoting the lead singer on one of the many versions of one of their tunes mansion on the hill.

oh no--i'm very very happy and grateful you copied this, please don't get me wrong. i just got a bit thrown off, reading the gig review and then glancing up...then again, it is a bit confusing. their last tour was called Last Train to Mashville.