R&B Icon James Ingram Dies At 66: Questlove, DJ Premier & Others Mourn

Amber

James Ingram is the latest music legend to depart from this world. The singer influence spans across generations with his songwriting from prominent artists like Ray Charles and Michael Jackson on top of his own hits. His collaboration with Patti Austin, "Baby Come To Me," may be the most popular of his chart-topping catalog. Many are mourning the loss of the Grammy Award winner, including his longtime friend Debbie Allen. Their statements serve as confirmation of the devastating news.

GettyImages-90699972.jpg
Michael Kovac/FilmMagic

Quincy Jones, one of Ingram's frequent collaborators, issued a statement in his honor. “There are no words to convey how much my heart aches with the news of the passing of my baby brother James Ingram," Jones said. "With that soulful, whisky sounding voice, James Ingram was simply magical. From the minute I first heard his voice on the demo tape for 'Just Once,' to 'One Hundred Ways,' his classic duet with Patti Austin 'How Do You Keep the Music Playing,' 'Secret Garden,' 'We Are the World,' and all of our recordings, every beautiful note that James sang pierced your essence and comfortably made itself at home. But it was really no surprise because James was a beautiful human being, with a heart the size of the moon. James Ingram was, and always will be, beyond compare. Rest In Peace baby brother. You will be in my heart forever.”

PfB_akniFZQ

View the full article