Tour Of Duty: John Kerry & The Vietnam War

Kooperman

TOUR OF DUTY

John Kerry and the Vietnam War.

By Douglas Brinkley.

Illustrated. 546 pp. New York: William Morrow. $25.95.

Review By MICHAEL TOMASKY

Published: February 22, 2004

If the novel of John Kerry's life had been written by, say, F. Scott Fitzgerald -- a plausible fictive scenario, chronological discordance notwithstanding, since Kerry comes from the sort of stock that was Fitzgerald's metier -- its protagonist would surely have taken a bad turn somewhere down the road. He would have squandered his good breeding. Passed too many years in dissolution. Relied on his social connections or his father's friends to set him up in business. The end would not have been a happy one (although in today's nonfiction America, that sort of person ends up president, but I digress).

For the rest of this review, go to:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/22/books/re...OMASKT.html?8bu

The country needs a change in leadership, so I'll support Kerry if he's the Democratic candidate. I have no doubt he'd do a better job than George Bush. However, I do regret that the "Democratic Party leadership" didn't recognize that Edwards is a better candidate, and help him get his candidacy rolling. Hopefully he'll be included on the Democratic ticket in one position or another.

I do regret that the "Democratic Party leadership" didn't recognize that Edwards is a better candidate

It aint over until the fat lady sings. Just watch Super Tuesday... Here's to you