California Judge Denies Stay of Gay Marriages

DudeAsInCool

California Judge Denies Immediate Stay of Gay Marriages

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

February 20, 2004

SAN FRANCISCO -- Gay and lesbian couples won another reprieve Friday when a judge declined to immediately stop San Francisco from granting them marriage licenses, saying conservative groups failed to prove the weddings would cause irreparable harm.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/20/national...RE-GAYS.html?hp

I'm really having trouble understanding those who "oppose" a person's decisions in life as far as marriage, and other subjective material. Furthermore, it just doesn't concern them.

It seems very judgmental, narrow-minded, self-imposing, and I suspect a religious underhandedness (just my theory, don't get bent out of shape because of that comment).

Why can't we just leave these people alone? They have chosen a path.

In the immortal words of someone, mind your own business.

Umma made a pt yesterday that there are too many special interest groups these days and its affecting society irreparably...

As far as gay marriage, I have no problem with it.

against every principle this country stands for.

As much as I wanna comment on that last one, I won't. I'm sure you know what I wanted to say and I'm pretty sure that you agree too.

wait a minute... I did comment.

No I didn't

alright I'll tell you why I won't comment. It's 5:32 in the morning and I just came in after a very busy night. I just logged in to read all the new threads and comment on them. I really can't think clearly right now so you'll easily beat in any "argument" we have lol

can't be more honest than that :)

I think to deny that is against every principle this country stands for.

Method:  As much as I wanna comment on that last one, I won't. I'm sure you know what I wanted to say and I'm pretty sure that you agree too.

Method, let's not confuse US political interests, with the country's or more specifically, the American people's principles--in many instances they are diametically opposed

Method, let's not confuse US political interests, with the country's or more specifically, the American people's principles--in many instances they are diametically opposed

That's very true.

One of the good things about the United States, is it's wide range of nutcases!

We have all kinds method.

Seriously though, in the end, we're all human beings, with our own thoughts (which include values, perspectives, etc..).

If you're homosexual, and you want to bond yourself to another individual in the manner of marriage, nobody should be there to deny you that. The whole "man and women" crap is more a religious gripe than anything. But people of all creeds, nationalities and such practice a wide variety of religions (some, not at all). So if anyone were to bring up that the very idea of marriage is inherent to their own belief system and that's it, then they're wrong. There are many forms of marriage, in all walks of life. I just hope nobody wrote the "man and women" crap into CA's state Constitution. If so, what utter fools.

This ongoing "bitch and moan" fest is just more imposition of perspectives and thoughts unto others. It's a restriction of freedom.

We all know what happens, when people are suppressed......

I would have thought all human beings have learned this lesson.

I just hope nobody wrote the "man and women" crap into CA's state Constitution.    We all know what happens, when people are suppressed...... I would have thought all human beings have learned this lesson.

Nope, nothing exists in this wording in the California constitution. In fact the Mayor of SF is using the state constitution to underline his thesis that everyone, including gays, should have equal rights and protections under the law. Schwarzennegar has not control over this. But the Atty Gen has some influence--it will be interesting to see what he does

I'll go out on a limb here and state my more or less unpopular view.

I don't really like gay marriage, nor the entire concept of homosexuality.

That's strictly a religious view, and even then, it is my religious view. The very same religion tells me not to eat pork, and thus I do not.

Now in the back of my mind, I realize probably a minimum of 50% of the people I know do eat pork. I don't really care. They aren't asking me to eat it, nor are they trying to force it on me. If somebody is eating bacon at their own damn table, who am I to say anything? It doesn't matter how anyone else lives their lives, it should only matter how I live mine.

Maybe less people would be so damn opposed to religion if some of my brethren would try to see it in that light.

If somebody is eating bacon at their own damn table, who am I to say anything? It doesn't matter how anyone else lives their lives, it should only matter how I live mine.

Maybe less people would be so damn opposed to religion if some of my brethren would try to see it in that light.

You'll never see the "Religious Right/Moral Majority" using that common sense approach to the matter, Shawn....there are no shades of gray in that Twilight Zone.