Teacher had sex with 13-year-old student 28 times in one week

Shawn

Meet Rachel Holt. The 34-year-old Delaware teacher is facing rape charges for allegedly having sex with a 13-year-old student 28 times during a one-week period last month. Holt, a science teacher at Claymont Elementary School, allegedly had sex with the boy, a student in her class, at her Wilmington home. According to a probable cause affidavit filed today in Justice of the Peace Court, the boy's father contacted cops yesterday afternoon and told them his child was having "inappropriate contact" with Holt. Last night, in an interview at New Castle County police headquarters, Holt admitted she had intercourse with the boy 27 times and performed oral sex once during the last week of March. She also revealed that another student, 12, had watched her having sex with the boy and that she had provided both boys with beer. Holt is being held in a local lockup in lieu of $560,450 bail.

Smoking Gun

nearly 10 percent of U.S. public school students have been targeted with unwanted sexual attention by school employees.

I'm not easily suprised by statistcs, but 10% is actually a bit of a suprise to me.

Oh by the way. The article was informative (perhaps a bit jumbled though) until we came to the part called "Awakening". Then it turned into a religious sermon.

However, this little snippet, disregarding the content before and after it, is an interesting look:

For example, let's take Mary Kay Letourneau's sexual attraction to a 13-year-old boy. What could have caused it?

Do you suppose it could it have anything to do with the fact that her husband Steve was a serial cheater? Or that her father, ultraconservative U.S. Congressman John Schmitz, was exposed for having a secret affair with a former student? Do you think a young girl's deep resentment over both a hypocritical and cheating father, and later on, over an angry, cheating, betraying husband, could possibly give rise to a forbidden attraction? An attraction based not only on sex, but also on her being worshiped and idolized by a young, relatively innocent, non-threatening male (after years of betrayal by "adult" males). No doubt all this was intoxicating to Mary Kay.

Also.........

even in darkest Africa the natives wear loin-cloths

That's not necessarily true. There are also a few South American native tribes that don't purposefully shield their genitalia (if at all). His insinuation that “modesty” in this context is related to something more than a product of one’s social environment doesn’t seem correct to me. What about nudists?

Perhaps that’s one of many instances where his religion clashes with my lack thereof.

Moreover, if we are just animals, then all consensual sexual activity – any place, any time, any type – is fine, just like with my children's goats.

Jesus Tap-dancing Christ has a point here.

At some level, there is overwhelming common ground between the overwhelming majorities of people on Earth with regards to sexuality. You'd be hard pressed to find a human being who wouldn't have a problem with sexual contact with small children, for instance. It seems there are some deep, unspoken values between lots of people, regardless of all the "free-thinking" which sometimes seems to suggest complete subjectivity (which I find funny considering that's an oxymoron).

So in conclusion, I can see where he's coming from with this statement and the rest of the article, sans the religious connotation. I think what he fails to realize is that the reasons why we are "more than just animals" could have to do with something other than spirituality.

After all, the human brain is barely understood, and we humans are rather unusual.