Dr. John followup

Warflower

Ok peeps. Just a followup to that questionnaire I gave to Dr. John's assistant. Just wanted you to know that I haven't forgotten...just waiting on the answers.

Here's what I've sent to him:

Dr. John:

We appreciate the contributions of the New Orleans music community to the rest of the world and are thankful for any insight you can lend to the many grateful fans of the Beat King community.

Are the recording studios in New Orleans OK, or did they get major Katrina damage?

Do you think New Orleans will be able to recapture the ethnic and racial flavor it was so famous for, in spite of

the Bush administration turning it's back on the city's inhabitants?

It seems that money from the government is basically going to big business. Has the Hurricane devastation impacted your creative processes, much like Bruce Springsteen experienced with 9/11?

Would you feel comfortable singing about it, or do you think emphasizing the musical heritage of New Orleans would better serve the rebuilding of the New Orleans culture?

Do you believe that the rebuilding of New Orleans will result in the Disney-ification of the culture in music that is New Orleans?

Will the culture built on good times in the face of hard luck incorporate the horrors of Katrina into a new renaissance of blues/zydeco music?

In the aftermath of the massive indifference of the Bush administration, has any concern amongst the people of New Orleans been raised in regards to the incompetence of their local officials? Do you see a viable candidacy for a non-political resident of New Orleans (i.e., Harry Anderson)?

Our thanks and prayers are with you and yours.

Beat King.com

I asked for an autograph too. :happy:

So there it is!

post-9-1144731197_thumb.jpg

Edited by DudeAsInCool

Very nice. I'm a big fan.

Dr. John

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dr. John, (born Malcolm John Rebennack Jr on November 21, 1940, in New Orleans, Louisiana) is a colourful pianist, singer, and songwriter, whose music spans, and often combines, blues, boogie woogie, and rock and roll. Professor Longhair was an important influence on Rebennack.

His musical career began as a session musician in New Orleans in the 1950s. Early on he also played guitar and was often known as Mac Rebennack. He switched to the bass ("the lowest time of my life"), and then the piano after his index finger was nearly shot off protecting his bandmate, Jesuit High School classmate, and longtime friend Ronnie Barron. He gained fame beginning in the late 1960s and early 1970s, with music that combined New Orleans-style rhythm and blues with psychedelic rock and stage shows that bordered on voodoo religious ceremonies, including elaborate costumes and headdress. For a time he was billed as Doctor John, The Night Tripper. The name "Dr. John" came from a legendary Louisiana voodoo practitioner from the start of the 19th century.

He is perhaps best known for his 1973 hit song, "Right Place, Wrong Time", which reached #9 on the Billboard Hot 100. Dr. John has also done vocals for Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits' "Luv dat chicken..." jingle, as well as the theme song ("My Opinionation") for the early-1990s television sitcom Blossom. His movie credits include Martin Scorsese's documentary The Last Waltz (in which he joins The Band for a performance of his song "Such a Night") and Blues Brothers 2000 (in which he joins the fictional band The Louisiana Gator Boys to perform the song "New Orleans").

In September 2005 he performed Fats Domino's "Walkin' to New Orleans" to close the Shelter from the Storm: A Concert for the Gulf Coast telethon for relief of Hurricane Katrina, which had devastated his hometown of New Orleans and other areas. On February 5, 2006, he joined fellow New Orleans native Aaron Neville, Detroit resident Aretha Franklin and a 150 member choir for the national anthem at Super Bowl XL as part of a pre-game tribute to New Orleans.

post-9-1144731299.jpg