How Long Should A Rapper Wait In Between Dropping

Popinmycollar

I think that rappers who drop albums every year over expose themselves and then people get tired of them (looks at DMX albums). Watch when Game and Mike Jones drop their new joints, when some of us are still listening to their first joints.

However some rappers take too long to come out with their next album (looks at his Internal Affairs and Black Star album and begins to ). When this happens, people tend to forget about them and their time passes. (looks at Uptown Saturday Night).

How many years should a rapper wait in between albums?

I don't see a problem with one a year if the quality stays up.

It's only when the quality starts to slip that it looks to me like they just rushed to put anything out there.

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

I don't think people got tired of DMX. Yeah, he released 4 albums in one year, but they were all very very popular albums. He has some good music out on his latest album (a couple of nice party joints in there... "Give Em What They Want" and "Pump Ya Fist" are two GREAT party songs), but his label is not going to market it because of the recent string of bad publicity he's had with jail and all.

I have to agree with Shawn here. I think one album a year is good, as long as the creative ability of the artist stays up to par or better. DMX just had lots of things to say that year and he exploded on the scene.

I don't think there is a formula. If any artist could drop a good album once a week, I'd probably jam them all.

The hardest part is staying in line between evolving a sound without alienating your core, and not getting stale at the same time.

Lil John might get big club and radio spin... but how often do you actually play the next 4 minute repitions of YEEAAAH, WHAT.... OKAY!!!!

Pop artists release albums when the industry things it's the right time. DMX is one of those artists. Industry made, industry killed.

If a band is good enough to release albums whenever they were ready, then there would be no problem.