Are we really sure

krisjoycheese

Are the Music industries/networks efforts to aid soley for self promotion?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Music industries/networks efforts to aid soley for self promotion?

• absolutely
    • not sure there could be many reasons
    • they just want to help out
    • no - obviously not

With all of the music networks reaching out to help the hurricane survivors, you have to wonder if its to really help or to self promote. I think its a bit of both...which sites do you think are doing it the best and are really doing it to support the survivors rather then themselves? i was thinking about this while searching some websites for some music networks. While some seemed truly interested in the efforts, more were just interested in self promotion...just linking to their homepage and not those of the organizations that they were supposedly helping to promote....let me know what you have found....mercy corps was interesting...i think they were affiliated with vh1classic

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

of course it's both. Just like good old regular advertising, publicity to show that you are doing good and giving back to the community associates you with the "good guys" and thus brings the community as a whole to recognize that fact and do what marketers try to do all the time: get you to remember their name/brand/product/service. It's one of the best ways to ever promote and advertise.

Think about it this way... if you saw/heard that beginning November 1st, Shell Oil Corporation would donate what you thought in your mind was a huge percentage of their profits every month to the American Red Cross to help those in need (and put it in a press release), in your mind, that would make Shell synonymous with "good people" and maybe next time, you might just drive by that Exxon or Valero or BP station and opt for the Shell. It's advertising PLUS it's just makes for a good image for the company.

I find the level of disinterested altruism to be at an all time low in this culture. Nothing about this aid for _________ (whoever, fill in the latest disaster) would be for anything other than future profits or business, imo.

Call me cynical. or a realist. or an asshole.

Here at our new house, we flick switches that don't seem to be connected to anything here, because nothing happens when we move them. But maybe they ARE connected to something...like big faultlines in Asia, or bombs that destroy EVERYTHING in India.

I sure hope they aren't. *flick flick* :hyper:

but then how are we supposed to reallly support if we are not sure if its real or not...i would like to support such efforts but then im like...is this really going to where it should be. And do you think its sad that inorder to get people to support networks have to basically barter with their viewers?