Grammies or Shammies?

Kooperman

10 members have voted

1. 1. Grammies or Shammies?

• Grammies
    • Shammies

CBS news says Janet Jackson has been reinvited lol I kinda like the Coldplay cut thats been nominated for best song of the years Reminds me of U2 Id actually vote for it

Beyonce captures 5 awards at Grammys

- - - - - - - - - - - -

By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY

Feb. 8, 2004  |  LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Beyonce captured a record-tying five Grammys for her solo debut album "Dangerously in Love," taking an early lead at Sunday's awards ceremony, while recovering balladeer Luther Vandross had three. Janet Jackson's Super Bowl flash remained the major subplot, as CBS and Jackson offered conflicting reports about why the singer was not at the show. And CBS, which also televised the Super Bowl, instituted a five-minute delay on Sunday's "live" broadcast to avoid any more scandal.

The 46th annual awards show began at 4:55 p.m. with Prince -- a former raunch king in his '80s heyday -- performing "Purple Rain," marking the 20th year of the groundbreaking song and movie.

Beyonce, wearing a tight dress with a feather skirt that revealed her pink panties, joined Prince on his hits and then sang her own "Crazy in Love," which won two trophies -- best R&B song and best rap/sung collaboration. Her boyfriend, Jay-Z, also won two awards for collaborating on the hit.

Beyonce also won best female R&B performance for "Dangerously in Love," best contemporary R&B album for "Dangerously in Love" and best R&B performance by a duo or group with vocals for "The Closer I Get To You," a remake she did with Vandross.

Her five trophies tied a record set by Alicia Keys, Norah Jones and Lauryn Hill for the most Grammys won by a female artist.

"This is unbelievable. Performing was enough for me," an excited Beyonce said.

Vandross, who suffered a debilitating stroke last year, also won two other awards: best male R&B vocal performance for "Dance With My Father," and best R&B album for "Dance With My Father." Vandross is still recovering and was not well enough to attend.

Other multiple winners included Jack White of The White Stripes and Eminem, with two each, and bluegrass singer Alison Krauss, who had three.

Pharrell Williams, who along with Jay-Z and OutKast also had six nominations, won his first Grammy during the pre-telecast ceremony for his production work with Chad Hugo as white-hot hitmakers The Neptunes. They have produced songs for artists ranging from Justin Timberlake to Jay-Z in 2003 alone.

The Neptunes weren't even nominated last year, because the record companies they produced hits for forgot to put them on the ballot. "I was a little upset last year," Pharrell acknowledged during his acceptance speech.

He also used the opportunity to stand up for friends Jackson and Timberlake, saying the reaction to their Super Bowl dance routine that ended with Timberlake exposing Jackson's breast was overplayed.

"What happened at the Super Bowl was a bit much, but I happen to know both of those people ... and they've done great things to support people around the world."

The late Johnny Cash, and director Mark Romanek, won for best short form music video for the haunting song "Hurt." Cash's wife, who died a few months before him in 2003, won best traditional folk album for the posthumous release "Wildwood Flower."

Their son, John Carter Cash, accepted both awards. "I produced the record for my mother. It's amazing. She died last May, and she got to hear the record, she got to experience it before she passed on," he told the audience. "I think it's a swan song."

Another posthumous winner was Warren Zevon, who died of lung cancer just days after the release of his disc "The Wind," which won best contemporary folk album.

The unusual team of former President Bill Clinton, former Soviet Union president Mikhail Gorbachev and Sophia Loren won best spoken word album for children for their reading on "Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf/Beintus: Wolf Tracks."

Prior to the Super Bowl, Jackson had been scheduled to attend the Grammys. On Sunday, Jackson's public relations firm said CBS and Grammy officials had asked her not to attend. They reversed themselves on Saturday and re-invited her, but Jackson declined, the statement said.

A representative for the Grammys denied she was ever unwelcome. "Janet was always invited," said Jason Padgitt of the publicity firm Rogers & Cowan, which represents the Recording Academy. "She was never uninvited, she was always invited to be here and she chose not to be."

Timberlake's appearance was never in doubt. He was up for five awards, including album of the year for his solo debut, "Justified."

http://www.salon.com/ent/wire/2004/02/08/beyonce/index.html

Guest .::BeatFactory::.
Justin Timberlake....Best Male Pop Vocal winner. That says it all....

Beyonce takes 5 Grammys!

That's just laughable. I didn't watch the Grammy's (work) but I did catch that part of the show. Did anyone else but me notice that his competition was from people over the age of 40. Did anyone else but me notice that his competition is unheard of from [a huge majority of] music fans ages 24 and under. I didn't even think that category was fair for the other people.

I watched long enough to hear the passionate appeal for 'true' music fans not to use p2p and hurt the 'family'.

Whatever.

Didn't change my opinion much, probably not too many others either.

whatsthedownload.com I think is their new site.

Justin Timberlake....Best Male Pop Vocal winner. That says it all....

Beyonce takes 5 Grammys!

That Beyonce Takes 5 Grammys wasn't on my original post, nor did I add it later. What's going on with that?

I added it and the article that followed in your thread. This thread seemd like the one to update what was going on at the Grammys....

The Earth Wind and Fire set was pretty impressive...as were the Foo Fighers. Ayone know who the piano player was who played with them? He was sizzlin (It was Chick Corea lol We sponsored a show of his once in college and I didnt recognize him)

Speaking of which..that Beyonce is something else. RB needs to update the Hottie thread... :lol: dudeasincool-'