Afghan anti-US protests spread

KiwiCoromandel

Demonstrations spread in Afghanistan on Thursday over a report that US interrogators at Guantanamo Bay had desecrated the Koran, and one protester was killed and four others wounded in a blast, officials said.

Several hundred students shouting "Death to America" held a peaceful protest outside Kabul University but in other areas of the country demonstrations turned violent, a day after four people were killed and 70 wounded in riots in Jalalabad.

more........

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/news_world_story_sk...0%3fformat=html

post-91-1116044558.jpg

Newsweek magazine said in a recent edition investigators probing abuses at the US military prison in Guantanamo Bay had found interrogators "had placed Korans on toilets, and in at least one case flushed a holy book down the toilet".

disrespectful motherfuckers. it doesn't say who approved this shit but i can guess. :mad:

US mag admits Koran story is wrong.....

The US magazine whose story of alleged desecration of a Koran holy book sparked deadly protests in Muslim countries, has said its report might have been wrong.

more here......

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/news_world_story_sk...1%3fformat=html

post-91-1116204979.jpg

they bullshit so much they don't know which way is up anymore, dunno whether or not to believe them (i'm betting the resultant PR got out of hand and now they're trying to deflect). fuck 'em.

Newsweek retracts story on Koran.....

Newsweek magazine has retracted a report that US interrogators at Guantanamo Bay had desecrated the Koran after the story triggered protests in Afghanistan that killed 16 people and the White House criticized it.

"Based on what we know now, we are retracting our original story that an internal military investigation had uncovered Koran abuse at Guantanamo Bay," Newsweek Editor Mark Whitaker said in a statement, a day after apologising for the report.

read more.........

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3283544a12,00.html

post-91-1116317568.gif

Muslims skeptical over Newsweek back-track on Koran.....

Muslims in Afghanistan and Pakistan were skeptical on Monday about an apparent retraction by Newsweek magazine of a report that U.S. interrogators desecrated the Koran and said U.S. pressure was behind the climb-down..

more here.......

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?t...storyID=8504765

post-91-1116317764.jpg

do you blame them? last night and this morning i read other flushing Koran incidents, a few which supposedly happened as far back as last year but i was ripped so i dont remember where...yeah, i know: i suck. (but if i find, i'll post them if i remember)

Whatever I smell comes from this odd sequence of events: Newsweek gets blasted by the White House, apologizes over the weekend but doesn't retract its story. Then McClellan offers his Journalism 101 outdoor seminar and blasts the magazine further. Finally, just before 5 PM Monday, the Dan Rather drama replaying itself in its collective corporate mind, Newsweek retracts...

...this one went similarly to the way the Killian Memos story evolved at the White House. The news organization turns to the administration for a denial. The administration says nothing. The news organization runs the story. The administration jumps on the necks of the news organization with both feet - or has its proxies do it for them.

That’s beyond shameful. It’s treasonous.

paraphrasing al bundy, 'why don't they just die/get impeached already?' but i know the answer to that: cause they don't have to, nobody w/real power is demanding it. :mad:

No matter what the mag says most Muslims overseas would see this as the government controlling the media. Do you think anyone would have admitted to the Abu Garib stuff if some dumb ass in uniform had not taken pictures? No pictures here so they can deny all they want and the media gets slap on the wrist. At least that's how the Arab world will see it. Truth is sometimes simply perception. Its very hard believe a habitual liar even if they are for once telling the truth. The Bush administration has lied so much in last 4 years that they wouldn't be believe when they even tell the truth.