Wassup for the Weekend - 3/18/05

DudeAsInCool

I'm glad you got a new car, Umma!! I hope it has a longer life. :)

The same problems exist here with the police versus crime. A few yrs back someone stole $2500 worth of tools out of my van parked at my house. When I called the police they told me to mail them a list of what was stolen and if I found out who did it to let them know and they would take care of it. I told them to come fingerprint my van and let me know who stole my tools and I would take care of it. They wouldn't do anything but told me that if I shot someone stealing my stuff I was in deep shit. You can't even get an honest answer from the police here. I had to explain to the cops that in Tx you can use deadly force after dark against someone stealing your stuff if you have reason to believe that you will not be able to recover your stuff if they get away. Well my stuff got stolen and absolutely no effort was made to recover it and a police report was filed. If I catch someone stealing anything on my property I have a legitimate reason to believe that I will not ever see it again if I allow them to escape. They can rob me in the daytime but after dark they are literally risking their life. Then the cops lectured me that what I said was true but I would feel bad if I shot someone. They obviously don't know me.

I don't know what ever happened to old days when you caught someone red handed you yelled, "Stop or I will shoot." The crook then had a choice to make. Either surrender and go to jail or take his chances with your marksmanship. As you said, no deterrent = more crime. The greater the risk is, the greater the deterrent.

Okay. I'll get off the soapbox. :lol:

Good luck with your new car. I hope you came out financially with the insurance settlement. If it was uninsured then I am real sorry you got ripped off. Getting ripped off is bad anytime but uninsured ripped off is worse. :)

Thanks Joe, but I am sure there are quite a few people here that don't. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Everyone is against crime but not everyone agrees that you should be able to shoot someone for stealing your stuff or breaking into your house. In Florida I read the other day that they are proposing a change in the law. As it is currently written you are legally obligated to flee instead of defend yourself. If someone breaks in your front door you are supposed to run out the back door if you are able. Isn't that bullshit??! The new law says basically that your home is your castle and they enter at their own risk. Some of our Florida members may be able to give you a better and more accurate assessment.

Joe, I still believe that people like us make it safer for the pacifists. The crooks don't know whether or not a gun nut is home so that is a deterrent. If nobody ever shot a crook crime would be much worse IMO.