Cuba's worst drought in a century worsens

KiwiCoromandel

Cuba's worst drought in a century worsens

12 March 2005

HAVANNA: Cuba's worst drought in a century has left one in six Cubans without running water and will get worse, a Cuban official warned.

The prolonged drought has hurt the Caribbean island's sugar and rice production and led to the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of head of cattle in the parched eastern provinces of Las Tunas, Camaguey and Holguin.

"It is the worst drought our country has faced since 1901," Aymee Aguirre, vice-president of the National Water Resources Institute, said.

Aguirre said two million of Cuba's 11.2 million inhabitants now rely on tanker trucks for their water........

Read more........

http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3215590a12,00.html

isn't gitmo in cuba? (me: woefully ignorant about these things) i'm wondering how the water &c is doing in there. speaking of cuba, my friend in london goes there like 3X/year (she's very political) and asked me to come w/her next time. pet man had to remind me i'd better get a fake passport cause i wasn't allowed.

i'm gonna seriously look into it although i'd think getting a visa would be difficult no matter where i am (i hope i'm wrong, i wanna go)

I believe you are allowed with a flight that's not from the US

Not unless they have changed the law in the last yr or 2. People commonly do it and it is overlooked but it is illegal to spend any money there and some such shit. I'd go if I wanted to without being afraid of getting busted but I would turn down an invitation to be on Oprah to tell of my adventures. :lol:

but i'd be spending british £ (dunno if that makes a difference). about the oprah thing, it's obvious you don't know me, even if i were to wake up famous for something, i would never go on her show.

Me either. I don't watch her show. What I meant was I wouldn't advertise that I went illegally. I saw someone on tv a couple of years ago that went to cuba and came back bragging about it on tv. The next few days they were arrested. It wasn't that hard to prove they went. They provided the video and the confession. :lol:

What I meant was I wouldn't advertise that I went illegally. I saw someone on tv a couple of years ago that went to cuba and came back bragging about it on tv. The next few days they were arrested. It wasn't that hard to prove they went. They provided the video and the confession. :lol:

Tom DeLay has been doing a lot of that lately. Maybe he'll get arrested and sent to Syria to "talk about it".

I saw someone on tv a couple of years ago that went to cuba and came back bragging about it on tv. The next few days they were arrested. It wasn't that hard to prove they went. They provided the video and the confession. :lol:

well, i try not to be a moron in real life (here is another matter). :)

Going to Cuba is like so many other laws. They have no intention of enforcing them unless they have to. It is illegal to attempt to buy a gun if you are a felon. I read somewhere about how many hundreds of people they caught trying and they only prosecuted less than 1% of the total. It is an open and shut case because the forms they have to fill out, sign and show ID but when caught they are told they cannot buy the gun. They are not arrested. That's what pisses me off about gun laws. The liberals want to pass more but there is no enforcement of the ones they have. Back to the topic.... sorta. Zillions of people go to Cuba and nobody gets prosecuted that doesn't make a public display of it. If you go, post some pics.....just label them as being from Columbia or some shit. :lol:

Zillions of people go to Cuba and nobody gets prosecuted that doesn't make a public display of it.

i had no idea those in the states even thought about going to cuba.

It's in the news once in a while how many are going and the govt doesn't bother with it. Generally they travel to a Latin country, mainly Mexico, and then on the Cuba. It has gotten to be a big business for Cuba.